Installation Blues

Discussion in 'WormGuard' started by Checkout, Mar 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Checkout

Checkout Security Rhinoceros

I tried to download WG yesterday evening (UK time) and ran into a few problems.  Firstly, a smaller problem:  Tucows offers several versions for download (Win ME, NT, 200 etcetera) but not one for XP.  Consequently, I went to DiamondCSlabs (USA, I think) and got the single offering there.

Then the bad news...WGUARD.INF was missing from the package.  The installation went south on me and put my machine into a screaming crawl, just when I'd started the registration process.  I had to power off before it completed, so I'm unsure what the order status is.

Finally, can you confirm that the billing form doesn''t absolutely require a 3-digit security code from the back of the card?  Mine doesn't have one.  I don't remember this being the same form I used when I registered TDS3.

Thanks for your time, and any help you can give will be appreciated.

2. UNICRON

UNICRON Technical Expert

That doesn't sound good fellow WormGuardian (I just made that up now, funny eh?)

WG3 DOES have issues with XP (I am so sorry I didn't mention that earlier, I did not know you used XP) but WG4 is suppoes to fix all that, and it will be out very soon (don't quote me on this as I am just a mod, not a diamondCS rep, but prolly before TDS-4)

I suggest an unnstall and try again. I also strongly suggest you employ the resources of the private forum. Much is said about XP and WG3 there.

3. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

So sorry to read about the problems.
    Did you install with ZAPro down, just to be sure?

And are you very sure sure sure the download was all complete? You might like to check at the www.diamondcs.com.au site for the size etc.
    Hope you get it complete soon!

Wonder with your hotel-phone line if wireless or other facility could be more convenient, but i'm sure you investigated that already.

4. Checkout

Jooske, Beloved, this is all sent to test me.  :)  I'm going for a complete reformat and reinstall, and I've decided to wait for WG V4.  It looks like XP is a hard beast to tame.

5. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

It has some hard sides yes, but WG4 will certainly deal with it, windows version independent (Thanks Wayne!).
    Sorry for your disappointment this moment... hope it is not WG causing you to reformat.

6. Checkout

Don't get me wrong, Jooske - I'm neither disappointed nor blaming WG4.  I know full well how hard development is, having done two stints in OBM software laboratories.  Easy it ain't.  And M$ systems are nowhere near as sophisticated, documented and debuggable as IBM systems (and what an understatement that is!)

7. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

No, you couldn't blame WG4, as it doesn't exist not even in Beta test version, but soon will.
    Have been digging a bit in the forum, see people telling to have problems and others without problems, did not see specific solutions that quick, takes more digging.
    As i hardly know any programming and scripting i keep to the easy little scripts with fun and trial and error.
    But that has nothing to do with WG now.
    Yeah, quite an understatement. Understandeble people look for alternatives more and more.
    No Wayne is not writing a complete new OS :) as far as i'm informed.

8. Checkout

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.