Installatin failed lates Smart Security

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by skyzyk, Apr 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skyzyk

skyzyk Registered Member

I installed the latest release of ESET Smart Security. There was a problem and I was forced to uninstall hoping to reinstall right away. When I tried to reinstall, even after enetering the password I had setup, I am told I don't have access to change the settings. This is my personal laptop and the only user, hence adminstrator. When I try to delete the leftover files it says the same thing "User does not have proper access" How can I work wound this or is there a proper uninstaller that I am not aware of?

Has this happened to anyone and can anyone help me?
    I don't consider this a good start for my dealings with ESET.

2. philby

philby Registered Member

Hello

I've had to do this a number of times (on Vista):

Re-install, then boot into safe mode and run the uninstaller from the 'all programs' list and then, if successful, do the usual folder clean up as per point 7 here. (works for V4 too).

If running the uninstaller doesn't work, then you'll need to go through all the points in the above link...

You could also try the Windows uninstaller clean up tool here.

philby

Last edited: Apr 24, 2009
  3. skyzyk

skyzyk Registered Member

Thank you for responding philby. I have tried reindtalling but it tekkme the same thing I din;t ahve access to change the settings and cancels the installation. I'll have a look at the ESET page and I already have the clean up tool. I'll be back with news but I don't really see what I've missed.

4. philby

philby Registered Member

You could also give Revo Uninstaller a try -checking through the entries found in advanced mode very carefully before you kill anything.

Failing that, I'm sure Marcos, Aryeh et al will step in with more educated assistance soon.

philby

5. DarrenDavisLeeSome

DarrenDavisLeeSome Registered Member

Why do people keep overlooking that the same downloaded ESS installation package that is used to install ESS can be used to uninstall the same version....? It does leave some minor folders behind in the Documents and Settings directory. It's not always necessary to remove those folders (depends on which version you're upgrading to) nor is necessary to search and destroy for every possible left-over key in the Registry...you'll never find them all anyways.

Simply use the same downloaded installation package that you used to install to uninstall. When it's finished it will prompt for a reboot. Reboot, come back and install the newer version and that is that.

I have done this several times with XP Pro and at least twice with Vista HP (laptop) without any hang-ups at all.

6. philby

philby Registered Member

It's not being overlooked.

The problem is that sometimes running the original Eset uninstaller from the installer package results in a user not being able to reinstall successfully afterwards.

I think that was the OPs problem - hence the need to kill everything manually before a reinstall.

philby

7. skyzyk

skyzyk Registered Member

That was the first thing i did, It says I didn't have proper access to do so. It was very easy to delete registry keys. You just have to know what you're doing and have the proper app. Somehing you have neither of. The next time you want to make flame like comments don't!!! Why do people keep asking the same stu--- question?

Last edited: Apr 25, 2009
  8. skyzyk

skyzyk Registered Member

Hey Philby, well it didn't work your way but I did manage to uninstall everything by using safe mode as well as all the registry values. I reinstalled and everything is working fine. Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.