Insert last disk for archive?!?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Turk182, Jun 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Turk182

Turk182 Registered Member

Hi all,

While doing a complete (first) backup with TI 10 I used 29 DVDs and was asked for to ~ "Insert last disk for archive". Si I proceeded to put in another (30th) blank DVD. Well, I got the ~ 'can't read file' message and the DVD drive would not release the disk (door would not open) so I could try another disk. Finally, I had no choice but to cancel the operation (at the very last disk). Now I have 29 disks of an, as far as I know, unusable 'backup'. Any way to complete this backup without starting?

Thanks, all
    Learning much from this forum

Rob

2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

Holy Moly! I doubt you could continue the backup where you left off, but 29 DVDs! Have you any idea what would happen when you try to do a Restore? You will be swapping those 29 dvds in a neverending process - you will think that your dvd drive will wear out before you complete the restore. For some reason, during a Restore, True Image doesn't call for the DVD discs in the order they were made.

Even a backup that requires 4 dvds is a painInTheArse to restore. I tried it with 3 Dvds and while there's still some swapping of discs in and out, it was just tolerable.

Invest in an external hard drive ... you'll be much better off in the long run. And you wouldn't have to sit there to feed in the discs while the backup is taking place.

3. Turk182

Thanks,

Thats exactly what I don't want to do, DwnNdrty. Intolerable is right. I didn't see where TI said how many DVDs it would take so I just kept following the software requests. And didn't know what I was supposed to do when asked for the ~ 'last disk of archive". Thanks for the guidance. I'll take your advice and backup to a hard drive after I trash these DVDs. :)

4. DwnNdrty

You can also do what many users do for an "insurance" backup. Make the backup first to the external drive with the images split into dvd-sized chunks. (you can specify this in the True Image backup process - many users like a split size of 1492mb as three of these fit on one dvd with very little waste and the 1492 figure has something to do with a sailor coming ashore in the USA. :D ).

After you have the backup done you can then burn the split images to dvd using Nero or Roxio or whatever you use for burning.

5. Turk182

6. DwnNdrty

First class vendor ... products look good too ... ought to work for your backups.

7. SloPoke

SloPoke Registered Member

I think when TI asks for the "last disk of the archive", it's not asking you to put a blank DVD in so it can write the final disk, since it doesn't know how many disks it's going to take and has no idea it needs one more disk. It's asking you to put the last disk it completed writing to back in the drive, even though it ejected it. Hence the "can't read disk" error message.

8. Gren

Gren Registered Member

It is indeed asking for the disk that has just been ejected. I had exactly the same issue at first and actually threw away the first set of disks thinking things had corrupted - luckily it was a fairly clean system and only required 4 disks.

My issue was based around having the 'verify' option ticked. This seems to check the backup created starting with the last disk. Worked fine once I knew what was happening and especially now as I don't have that option ticked as it takes a long time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.