INFO: F-Prot 6.0.4.0 Beta Released

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Inspector Clouseau, Jun 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. comma dor dash

comma dor dash Registered Member

Yes. This merely relates to an F-Prot issue. That's why I posted it here.

And yes, the entire sfx archive is completely "transparent". This is intentional. You do not need to execute anything. Instead you can do all these steps manually if you like.

(I am not so sure whether it is a good idea to post the link. Inexperienced people may get confused and/or worried.)

2. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

Never mind.

3. Benvan45

Benvan45 Registered Member

That's what it says......

4. Miyagi

Miyagi Registered Member

Open the program, click on the VIRUS SCANNERS module and on the left hand side, choose Quarantine/Item. You will see a list of all the quarantined files. Select by clicking one of them. Then on the bottom, click on the Restore button.

5. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I think this is way too buggy for a public beta. It just crashed on me when I tried to look at the log. No indication from the GUI at all. I figured it out by looking in event viewer. I also can't believe event viewer is the log! Yuck! I have about 60 entries of errors in event viewer now all about F-Prot because it uses that as its log. I had to reboot because it could not be restarted.

I did the eicar tests and learned right away that there is no way to send a virus to quarantine or to have F-Prot ignore it. With no "ignore" or quarantine choices, I kept clicking on close and I couldn't get F-Prot to close the popup. Everytime I tried, an error got written to event viewer.

Then there is my Firefox problem. It doesn't want to start after installing F-Prot. When I click on it to start it, it doesn't present me with the box to choose my profile. Nothing happens at all. I have to click at least two more times before, after about 60 seconds, I get the profile box. I choose my profile and it takes 60 seconds or longer to then start! So, more than two minutes to start Firefox when ordinarly it would start instantly. I do have a older version of Fx on this computer so I hope if I upgrade it to the latest version that this extreme slowness in starting will not happen. But this slowness is definitely caused by F-Prot. It has always started very quickly until now.

Attached Files:

6. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Event viewer error.

Attached Files:

7. rayoflight

rayoflight Registered Member

I can not do this because I can't open a quarantine items:(
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=774456&postcount=15
    Any extra ideas?

I agree:(

Last edited: Jun 14, 2006
  8. pykko

pykko Registered Member

hmm...I've seen some errors.
    Somebody please take IC out from the pub to answer this problems. :D :D

9. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

The installer don't give me the option to choose where to install F-PROT :'( , and it don't have a customized installation option. It simply install all the stuff. Is it by design?

10. Inspector Clouseau

Inspector Clouseau AV Expert

Most of the problems are Interface releated (including overwriting the exclusion settings for com files) i didn't even use the Interface since it's much more comfortable for me to use the command line for engine testing purpose.

However, i do agree that the Interface Problems are quite a "mess". This quarantine problem i reported myself several times to the gui development during last 2 weeks, since i tried it once and had similar problems.

I will take care today that those problems are getting fixed by reporting this to the GUI team. But it would be helpful if everybody who had problems would provide a bit of additional information such as the operating system it was running on including service pack versions for NT-based Systems.

Since this here is not a F-Prot Support forum i would suggest that you write this directly via email (You see the bug report email on the website) with CC to me or discuss it here (by posting screenshots and a short info on the error): http://av-experts.org/forum/index.php?&showforum=5

Thanks guys.

11. pykko

pykko Registered Member

one last question here about F-Prot if you don't mind... are you going to add a HTTP scanner to this version (6) ?

Or this feature is scheduled for version 7 or above ?

12. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I do not regard this as a PUBLIC beta. No offense Mele -- I honestly don't mean to split hairs over word definitions. Instead, I feel that this beta has been announced to a rather small & capable segment of the public.

To wit: I could find no bold & brazen announcement of this beta on F-Prot's website. Announcement of a beta here at Wilder's is, in my opinion, an announcement made to a specialized group that fully understands the risks, problems, and *adventures* inherent in helping to debug a major piece of complex security software. Further, we do so to help out a well-liked and highly respected friend -- the old Inspector himself.

At this stage of F-Prot's beta, I must admit that testers should be using Rollback or something like it. Otherwise -- beyond here, there be dragons!:eek:

13. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Are you saying that the Inspector is old. :mad:

:D:D Just kidding :D

Anyway, I at least partially agree with bellgamin, this is more of a "Preview" release than a beta, and I was not surprised to see such bugs. Besides, its the very first beta. :)

Oh BTW, Inspector Mike (As I call him), is a malware analyst and engine developer, he has nothing to do with the program's front-end (GUI). He does report bugs and performs extensive testing, but GUI development is not his job. ;)

Last edited: Jun 14, 2006
  14. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

IMO, it seemed fairly clear and obvious on their web-site that this is an official beta :blink:

Attached Files:

15. comma dor dash

comma dor dash Registered Member

@Michael

"However, i do agree that the Interface Problems are quite a "mess"."

Well...finally we manage to agree on something. :-*

Just another hint: if you talk to your GUI guys you may also want to tell them that they should use dummy manifests (subject to an exclusive lock): I consider creating an AggressiveEicar (= bad brother of SuperEicar) which may completely f*ck up any scanners not using such dummy manifests.

16. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Hmmm...no updates in over 24 hours?!

17. Graystoke

Too bad. It looks like I won't be using it then.

18. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

"Bold & brazen" = "clear & obvious"?

I said it wasn't "bold & brazen" -- not that it was altogether inaccessible. You have to drill down 3 levels to get to the beta download screen shown by BC. I show the 2nd level. Brazen?

Ah well, those who want to take umbrage will do no doubt adminster further whacks as they wish. :'( I was just trying to make a point to the effect that testing a beta is (by definition) often adventurous.

Attached Files:

• FP.gif
      FP.gif
      File size:
      11.8 KB
      Views:
  19. iwod

iwod Registered Member

To be honest NOD and Kaspersky 6 uses similar amount of resources but provide more protection ( Http Scanning and email scanning )

But at this price point i cant expect more.

Keep up the good work

20. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Well F-Prot 6 also offers email scanning. At least it was able when i was closed testing F-Prot...

21. JuniorSZ

JuniorSZ Registered Member

I have been using F-prot for a year now .... current fprot version3.16f
    Looking forward to the new release ...

Few questions about the beta >

- How is it on resorces / mem /cpu ? .. my current version is very light
    - Is the 'real-time protector' tweakable ? .. v3.16f is not

Thanks .... great forum by the way :thumb:

22. jim_k

jim_k Registered Member

My initial impressions about resource usage have been very good.

Real Time Protector now lets you decide what to do if an infection is found as well as a few other things. Also, it is now possible to exclude files from the scan

23. Benvan45

Benvan45 Registered Member

Only Outlook Mail is being scanned, which I think is a big drawback......why Outlook only?

24. Graystoke

I would like to know why it only scans e-mail in Outlook also. I'm pretty sure Outlook Express is more widely used than Outlook in the home environment. I agree with Benvan45, that this could be a big drawback for someone thinking of using F-Prot. I know it has affected my decision.

25. dw2108

dw2108 Registered Member

Does this version of F-Prot support Win 98 SE, or is it only for 2000 and up?

Dave

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.