"infected files" folder in Outlook 2007

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Magritte, May 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Magritte

Magritte Registered Member

Hi,

Outlook 2007 keeps creating an "infected files" folder in each of my e-mail accounts. If I delete it it just comes back. I suspect this is done by nod32. I disabled the option to move infected files to the "infected files" folder under outlook options in Nod32 but it still keeps creating the folder.

Is this, in fact, the work of nod32? If so, is there some way to disable it?

Thanks.

2. PaulB2005

PaulB2005 Registered Member

One my PC it does this with both Outlook and Outlook Express. It seems to send the files there pending scanning. once scanning has competed they goto the Inbox.

Is one more folder that much of a problem? And what would you want NOD32 to do with any Infected emails it finds?

3. Magritte

It's not a big deal but it is annoying. I have several Gmail IMAP accounts so it adds an extra folder to each account. Outlook already adds a "Junk Mail" folder to each account that can't be deleted. Between Outlook's special folders and Gmail's special folders and my own working folders, the folder list is huge... Again, while it's not something I'd cry about, having that extra folder in each account just doesn't help...

What should nod32 do? How about just delete the infected attachment? Or maybe if it's using an Infected Files folder as a temporary space, it can remove that folder automatically if there are no messages left in there...

In any case, is scanning of e-mails necessary? If I just turn that feature off entirely, shouldn't the resident file scanner catch any infected attachments when Outlook (or whatever the e-mail client is) downloads the message and tries to save it in a local store? It seems a little redundant. Am I missing something important here?

Thanks.

4. mkuntic

mkuntic Registered Member

Change "Infected Items" to "Junk E-mail" in NOD's options.

Note: I believe this should be the default.

5. Magritte

I guess I had played too much with the settings at some point... That's a good solution, though. Since Outlook won't let me erase the Junk E-mail folder anyway at least now I've only got 1 extraneous folder per account instead of 2.

Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.