inf/autorun.sz virus, just in time for the weekend

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by thebowlaker, Mar 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thebowlaker

thebowlaker Registered Member

What a wonderful day Friday was this little goody "inf/autorun.sz" virus made it onto my external hard drive after backing up a server. I sacrificed a mini lap top to get the needed data files. NOD did said hey what are you trying to do here dummy..:eek: I told NOD to let her into the mini, NOD was doing it's job.

Now I would like to get this problem off the mini and external hard drive. Is there a NOD addition that can find and quarantine??

The server is another problem but is off line now

thebowlaker

Last edited: Mar 11, 2012
  2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

It's just an autorun.inf file so the file itself is not harmful. It could also be a benign file that looks very similar to autorun.inf files triggering malware.

3. thebowlaker

The odd part is it never was noted by NOD prior to this event. This external drive has been used to back-up, and to place the back-up on another station weekly. The flag came up for this week's back-up.

This was the first time, maybe the latest NOD update is sensitive to this. Just a bit paranoid NOD nailed a worm that made it to the server and was trying to get to the stations.

Thank you Have a most Excellent Day!

thebowlaker

4. thebowlaker

Re: inf/autorun.sz virus, just in time for the weekend, Not fasle Positive

:D All better..! Turns out the inf/autorun.sz is not a false positive. I sent the info in to ESET and here's what they came back with

"An ESET Customer Care Representative has updated this case with the following information:Thank you for the information provided.

INF/Autorun is a label that describes a variety of malware which uses the autorun.inf file as a way to compromise a PC when removable media (CD, USB flash drive) is accessed by the user.

The threat was blocked by your ESET security solution and didn't infect anything, the on-demand scan you run confirmed it. Your system is malware free.

At this point, the best would be to run an on-demand scan of the removable drive that contained the threat, in order to clean all infected files (if any).:

Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.