inevitable ads

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by sAg3, Jul 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sAg3

sAg3 Registered Member

As far as security knowledge goes, I'm pretty bad.

My problem: Even when I'm not browsing the net, advertisements are always popping up, even when I'm just loading MSN messenger.
    I have 3 lines of defense: 1. Symantec antivirus: Usually spots around 3 viruses which it can't delete/handle, I'm not sure what it does with them.
    2. Lavasoft Adaware SE personal: I run a full system scan every day and it comes up with about 10 infected files, usually found within my cookie folder, or temporary internet files. And oddly, everytime I load it up, it says your updates are 14 days old . 3. Spybot: Usually finds a problem in HKEY_USERS\alot of numbers .
    The cookies: I usually get some from a.tribalfusion, e.rn11, sublimedia.net(dating direct), ww w.888.comsystemdoctor, amaena. And this is when I havn't even browsed the internet, apart from coming to this site, and looking up file names that I thought may be viruses, on google.

I made a few mistakes a couple of weeks ago by downloading free trials of a couple of registry cleaners and antivirus software which I deleted, that may be the source? :blink: I also used HijackThis which I had no clue how to use.
    I also found a couple of days ago, a file called eAcceleration which refused to be deleted, in the end I used Dr.Delete, which is also deleted.

If someone could help me, that'd be great, if you want more info on it, I'll try my best to give some. o_O o_O o_O

It was painful writing this, ads popping up every minute. o_O

I hope this was the right place for this post.

EDIT: Something else I just discovered, IE crashes when I load my hotmail.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2006
  2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

3. sAg3

sAg3 Registered Member

Thanks........I guess a hijack log has got someting to do with HijackThis?

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Yes it does. They have complete instructions at the link.

5. sAg3

sAg3 Registered Member

Erm, ok. I went to that link, read everything but couldn't run the ewido online scan because its got a red X.(my active X doesn't work). So I skipped that step, but when I came to installing HijackThis, I wanted to put it in the C:\ folder but it said the program was password protected. This happens with all programs I try and install.

EDIT: Ignore me, I just had to be logged on as admin =P

6. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Open program files, rightclick within that location and create a new folder called Hijack This.
    Place hijackthis.exe in that folder. Doubleclick that file and see if it works.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.