index.dat

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Bethrezen, Nov 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bethrezen

Bethrezen Registered Member

hi all

i was wonderin if anyone knows of an automatic way of cleaning the index.dat file on shut down

coz usualy i would just open the index.dat in note pad and clean it manualy but that only works for the one in the cookies folder

and i cant find a way to clean the one in c:\windows\temp internet files\contence ie5

now i know this can be done by loading in dos mode and usin the deltree comand but i really dont want to have to do that incase i mess up

any sergestions ??

also anyone know any free cleaning app that not only clean internet garbage index.dat but also cleans the rest of the junk files that acumulate over time and the registory

also the cleaner should be safe and not deleat anythin that is needed as so meany of the cleaners i have tryed do and it should have a back up funtion that will let me undeleat anythin thats deleated incase somthin does go wrong

2. controler

controler Guest

Spider seems to work for that cookie doesn't it?
    and the invisible URL.
    Are you using Windows ME , XP ?
    turn off restore before cleaning it in the TEMP, Temporary Internet Files-sub folders and content IE folders.

3. Bethrezen

Bethrezen Registered Member

hi

im usin win 98 se

"Spider seems to work for that cookie doesn't it?
    and the invisible URL"

im puzeled what you mean by this i wasnt askin about cookies i was askin about the index.dat coz its like 1000 k which mean it must contain a lot of stuff and i want it cleaned along with all the other junk that takes up space and slows things down

4. controler

controler Guest

I am refereing to the program Spider

http://www.fsm.nl/ward/

Attached Files:

5. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Hi.Spider does work on index.dat in 98.I installed it on a 98 system this past weekend.It doesn't clean everything in index.dat. though.It's the only free program I have tried so far that works.While looking for a free solution to index dat. cleaning for my xp operating system,I found that not all programs(even shareware)clean the index. dat.I have found a few pay programs that work or look very promising.Another free program that may work is called "bears delete".I never tried it though.It's under the "cleaners" section of free tools at this site.(wilders)

6. controler

controler Guest

Another fine poduct I been trying :D

Attached Files:

7. controler

controler Guest

Attached Files:

8. controler

controler Guest

and 3

Attached Files:

9. notageek

notageek Registered Member

Hey controler you talking about secure clean from
    http://www.accessdata.com/Product05_Overview.htm?ProductNum=05

If not what's the web page?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.