Index Corrupted - Where? In C:?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by btmac, Sep 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. btmac

btmac Registered Member

I may be asking my TI7 to do something it isn't capable of; or my lack of skills just isn't allowing me to successfully image my desktop HD (XP Home, SP1) onto my notebook, whose HD just got fried. Here's what I've done so far:

Installed a new NTFS formatted drive on the notebook.
    Created an up-to-date image of my desktop HD. This image exists on an external USB2 disk.
    Plugged the USB disk into the notebook.
    Booted the notebook off the TI CD.​
    Now I follow the bouncing ball until I get to the "Partition or disk to restore" window and I select Disk 1. TI proceeds to analyze, and then an error message appears: Index Corrupted, and shuts down the whole operation. TI seems to be seeing everything correctly, including the USB disk with the AT Secure Zone, and the notebook HD.

I guess the simplest form of my question is: Exactly what might be corrupted, and what do I do to "uncorrupt" it?

As an added note, I'm not 100% sure the notebook is recognizing the new HD. This is a Compaq EVO, and the BIOS does not specifically name any of the drives, including the factory installed DVD drive. However, it does have a HD self-test which tells me that the new HD is fine. I'm taking this as indicating that it is properly installed and recognized.

I appreciate anyone who can help lead this rookie through the wilderness.

Thanks,
    btmac

2. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

Using any imaging program to install an image of a desktop PC on to a laptop and expect it to boot will just not work. There are just too many hardware and driver differences between the two computers. There is also the problem of trying to use one licensed copy of XP on two different computers.
    To get the laptop running again you will have to install its own operating system and install all the other programs you need.

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello btmac,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

First of all, please note that, as Xpilot has already mentioned above, the restored operating system will not boot because of the differences between the hardware configurations of the source (desktop) and destination (laptop) machines.

If you want to be completely sure that the restored operating system will boot and function normally, we recommend using Acronis True Image 9.1 Workstation or Acronis True Image 9.1 Server for Windows (depending on which operating system you use) in conjunction with Acronis Universal Restore for your purposes.

Acronis Universal Restore technology provides an efficient solution for hardware-independent system restoration by replacing the crucial HAL and hard disk controller drivers. You can find more information on how to deploy the image of a Windows system to different hardware in this FAQ Article. You may also find this previous thread helpful.

Please read more information on how to use Acronis Universal Restore in the corresponding Acronis True Image version User's Guide.

The free trial versions of the above mentioned products are available at this page.

If you want to obtain the free trial version of Acronis Universal Restore then please submit a request for technical support using Ask a question before you purchase Acronis software link. Explain your wish to obtain the free trial version of Acronis Universal Restore and provide the link to this thread in your request.

Please also note that after being transferred to a computer having hardware configuration different from that of the machine it was originally installed on, Windows may require a re-activation. This is not related to Acronis software and depends of the particular Windows version\licence you use. We recommend that you contact Microsoft Support Team for further information regarding Windows licensing.

Please visit Acronis online store to purchase the full versions of the above mentioned products.

As for the "Index Corrupted" error message that you receive upon the attempt to restore the beforehand created image, please check each partition of both the source (external USB disk) and destination (newly installed internal hard drive) hard drives by Windows utility: use Windows menu Start\Run, then enter the command "chkdsk c: /r" "chkdsk d: /r" for every partition of your hard drive. Note that you will need to reboot your computer in order to scan the system partition.

Please also make sure you use the latest build of Acronis True Image 7.0 which is available for downloading in the Product Updates section of your account at Acronis web site.

You can find the full version name and build number by going to Help -> About... menu in the main program window.

To get access to updates you should create an account then log in and use your serial number to register the software.

Please create a new Bootable Rescue CD after installing the update, boot your computer from this CD and see if the problem still persists.

If the problem still persists then please also try reformatting the destination hard drive.

If that does not help either then please download and install the free trial version of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home or any of the above mentioned Acronis True Image versions, create new Bootable Rescue CD, boot the computer from this CD, try to restore the image once more and see if the problem still persists.

Note that the Bootable Rescue CD is not hardware dependent and therefore can be created on any of your computers.

If the problem is gone, please visit Acronis online store to purchase the upgrade to version 9.0.

If the problem still persists with the Bootable Rescue CD created using the free trial version of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home then please do the following:

- Download Acronis Report Utility and run it on any of your computers;

- Select the "Create Bootable Floppy" option;

- Insert a blank floppy disk in the A: drive and proceed with creation of the bootable floppy;

- Boot the computer having the issue (your laptop computer) from the beforehand created diskette and wait for the report creation process to finish;

- Collect the report file from the floppy.

In case you do not have a floppy drive we recommend that you borrow one in order to create Acronis Report. If it is not possible please connect the hard drive containing the restored non-bootable operating system to any other "healthy" computer, i.e. computer which can successfully boot into Windows, and create a report from within Windows as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Please keep both the source (external USB disk) and destination (newly installed internal hard drive) hard drives connected while creating Acronis Report.

Then please submit a request for technical support. Provide the report.txt file collected in your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.