Incremental Windows Backups

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by aaborkar, Aug 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aaborkar

aaborkar Registered Member

I am trying to make incremental backups of my Windows XP x86 and x64 OS's to allow fast recovery at the time of a boot drive failure.

I first did an incremental backup (not sector-by-sector) but OS recovery failed as boot and registry information is not copied.

Then, I made my first incremental sector-by-sector backup (full BK as it was the first BK) with compression right after XP was installed with minimal drivers and updates. The backup was about 60GB.

Two days later, after I installed all the updates, drivers and few programs, I did another incremental sector-by-sector backup. Now the backup is about 65GB.

I thought that the incremental backup would be relatively small ~5GB. Is there are a need to do a sector-by-sector backup after the first one to allow full recovery to the most recent image? Is there a preferred way/routine to make incremental backups of the OS? Also should I do incremental or differential BK?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.