Incremental updates?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by scooby_doo_do, Mar 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scooby_doo_do

scooby_doo_do Registered Member

I'm using corporate workstation 8 latest build. If i run an incremental schedule every weekday for instance. How can i get rotation working? For instance i don't want it to take an incremental backup every weekday for a year, i want it to do it everyday for a month and then delete all the old ones and restart again.

Also - when you are restoring a drive, do you just select the incremental file you want? and what happens if you have 5 incremental files (1 to 5) and delete one of them, say number 3? When you select incremental 5 to restore from would it work?

Thanks.

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello scooby_doo_do,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Workstation Disk Backup Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

We recommend you to schedule two tasks in order to "rotate" incremental images creation:

- Task for the monthly full image creation;

- Task for the daily consequent incremental images creation;

In this way you will always have a set consisting of a fixed number of images, because when a new full image is created, incremental images start overwriting themselves automatically.

If you want to have several sets of images covering for example last two months then please take a look at this previous post of mine explaining how this can be done.

Please be aware that as it is pointed out in section 5.3 of Acronis True Image 8.0 Corporate Workstation User's Guide an incremental image "contains data only from parts that changed after the previous full or incremental image had been created". This means that each new incremental image is based on the initial full image and all previously created incremental images. Thus you can delete incremental images only from the end of the already existing set of backups. For example, if you delete an incremental image number 3 then you will be able to restore only to the states your system had at the moment when the initial full image and incremental images number 1 and 2 were created. Incremental images number 4 and 5 will not be considered, though they still exist.

Please also note that independently of which volume (.tib file) of the image archive you have selected for the restoration Acronis True Image recognizes all of them as the entire image archive (all volumes should reside in the same folder) and suggest you several restore points according to the dates when the initial full image and consequent incremental images were created.

You can find more information on how to use Acronis True Image 8.0 Corporate Workstation in the above mentioned User's Guide.

If you have any further questions concerning Acronis software, please feel free to submit a request for technical support or post any of them on this forum. We will certainly try to help you in resolving any issues.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Last edited: Apr 3, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.