Incremental Images LARGER than original base image

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by yantisr, Jan 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yantisr

yantisr Registered Member

Incremental images are LARGER than the original, full base images since I recently upgraded to v9.0. I have been using True Image since version 6.0, and in al previous versions True Image has behaved in the expected, standard manner - I create a full image of a partition (or disk). Then I create incremental images, the first based upon the original full, and subsequent incrementals based upon the immediately preceding one. Each incremental is smaller than the original full base - size depending upon the changes occuring since the last backup.

But now, I have the strange phnomenon that the incremental is actually larger than the original, full image. For example: I made a full image of my C: partition (NTFS -- XP-SP2+latest 'fixes') on 01-26-06 of 16,852,799 KB. On 01-27-06 (today) at 10:10, I made an incremental -- it's size is 16,879,641 KB. I just made another incremental at 13:34 (after doing little else on this PC except reading this forum) that is 16,897,062 KB. The orignal full image took 22 minutes via USB 2.0 to external Maxtor 200 GB. The 1st incremental took 29 minutes. And the last one took 27 minutes. (based upon times shown in Windows explorer's 'Created' and 'Modified' file characteristics).

I have tried several approaches over the last couple of weeks, as time permitted, to resolve this or at least find out the cause. I tried deleting the incrementals and recreating them, but had the same results. I checked my various settings to see if I'd set any incorrectly, or if a default setting was causing this -- they all appear fine to me. Not having much time to play with this, I finally just began creating full images each time, before making significant changes or installing a new app or MS update, something I always try to do. But as I now have a little bit of time to research this, I searched Acronis' site and existing threads in this forum for answers -- I did not find any.

Could some one point out where I may be overlooking something, or perhaps have any suggestions? Should I upgrade v9.0, build 2245 to 2337? Or, uninstall v9.0 and reinstall 8.0 Enterprise Workstation? I really would like to make use of the purpose and advantages of incrementals - smaller files and image times - for more frequent backup protection. Right now this does not seem possible for me.

Any ideas or help would be appreciated.

-Robert

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Robert,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please download and install the latest build (2337) of Acronis True Image 9.0 which is available in the Product Updates section of our web-site.

Please uninstall any previously installed build by following Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Add or Remove Programs -> Acronis True Image, prior to installing build 2337.

If that does not help then please download the latest version of Acronis drivers, install it with disabled logging and see if the problem still persists.

If the problem still persists, please create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Please create an account, then log in and submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

3. yantisr

yantisr Registered Member

:thumb: The Build 2337 did not correct the oversized incremental file problem -BUT- the Acronis driver update did! I just did an incremental to an original 17,047,516 KB full image, and the resulting file size is 99,206 KB, which is a great deal more like it.

Thank you, Tatyana, very much.
    --Robert

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.