Incremental backups not working

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Maestr0, Aug 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maestr0

Maestr0 Registered Member

OK. I did a full backup. After installing the new drivers (per tech support) it worked. Then I set a daily incremental backup. The original was 240gb. Within 3 days the incrementals had also totaled 240gb. Nothing chaned on my PC. Certainly not in the files I was backing up, and it did not swell to 2x size.

So I tried again. Acronis is set to run an incremental backup each day at midnight. Not only does it try to do what appears to be a rather large backup, it has errors during the process and will not complete. Most common error is as follows (though the file names will change)

Failed to backup file or folder 'C:\Users\HomerJ\Pictures\From Laptop\Random\DVC00033.JPG'.
    Error reading the file. (0x40001)
    Tag = 0x61F1883FE50B0AF4
    (0x1003EB)
    Tag = 0x14181C22EF45AC01: Retry/Ignore/Cancel: User replied: Cancel

I'm inches from an uninstall. This has been happening since I first purchased this months ago. (If I try to retry or ignore, the same error pops up with the next file in line).
    TIA
    Steve

2. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello Steve,

Could be that you have some bad/corrupt sectors on your C: partition. If not already done, open the Windows Command Prompt and run chkdsk C: /r (you will asked to reboot in order to complete the scan). This will check the integrity of your file system and attempt to repair any bad sectors.

Regards

Menorcaman

3. Maestr0

Don't think so. Tried chkdsk in the past. Besides...backup works fine when I do a full backup with a manual start. It's the jobs that are giving me fits.

4. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hmm, OK. In that case, is there some housekeeping activity (e.g. disk defrag) taking place around the same time?

Regards

5. Maestr0

Possibly. But it is running in the middle of the night. So when I see it in the morning, it is paused on the error. If I RETRY or IGNORE it doesn't work and any disk maintanance has been finished for a while. I can try re-timing the backups if you think it will help.

6. Pinchas

Pinchas Registered Member

most probably u're doing smth wrong when creating incremental backups..

in this case, i can advise if u use 10.0 atih to create acr backup location and set the backup policy. n create scheduled task to save backups to this location.

Exclude the files that cause errors from the backup task

7. mwang

mwang Registered Member

Maestr0:

Do you defragment your HD regularly? Acronis TI's incremental backup is sector-based, so after defragmentation a partition would appear heavily changed to TI while in fact no many files are really new.

Here's a direct quote from TI Home 10's help file:

8. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Maestr0,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please make sure you use the latest build of Acronis True Image. To get access to updates you should first register your software.

Could you please collect some information to let us investigate the issue thoroughly?

Please create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Please also collect the application log of the operation:
    - run the program;
    - select Show log on the toolbar or from the Tools menu;
    - select the log with error messages;
    - click "Save the log entry to file" (the diskette icon).

Please also describe in details, how exactly are the backup tasks set (if possible, make screenshots of task creation wizard); are the backups drive/partition images, or files/folders backups?

Please also clarify, what exact version of Acronis True Image are you using? You can find the full version name and build number by going to Help -> About... menu in the main program window.

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.