Incremental backup???

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by M_Sattari, Jul 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. M_Sattari

M_Sattari Registered Member

Hello everybody.

Why Acronis True Image can not backup only changes after restoring from an archive?

Let me explain better.

1- I get a full backup from one partition. Size of full backup archive = 1000 M
    2- I add some files and backup again. Size of 1st incremental archive = 50 M
    3- I restore the partition from second archive.
    4- I add some new files and backup again. Size of 2nd incremental archive = 1100 M !!!!!

Why this happen?
    Why True Image strore FULL BACKUP after restoring?

True Image compares content of sectors or modified access time of fileso_O
    If 2nd, why above problem occures?
    If 1st, why it does not backup Reserved for MFT zone?!!

2. osip

osip Registered Member

Incremental after restore or defrag forces ATI to restructure the image,nothing strange at all...

3. M_Sattari

So incremental is useless word after restoring and re-backing up !

Why reconstruction ? So it got a non-true image !;)

4. osip

osip Registered Member

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello M_Sattari and everyone interested,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please note that backup restoration and defragmentation may affect the size of the incremental/differential image archive (disk/partition image) created with Acronis True Image. This is because Acronis True Image operates on a sector level to create disk/partition image. If file system on the partition is supported by Acronis True Image, it does not create a raw sector-by-sector image. Instead, it backs up only the actual data in this way decreasing the size of the resulting image. Therefore, after the image is restored files might not place to the exact same sectors they were residing originally. Thus, upon creating a new incremental/differential image Acronis True Image sees that the data in the sector has changed and will include the content of the sector to the incremental/differential image archive

If you have any further questions concerning Acronis software, please feel free to submit a request for technical support or post any of them on this forum. We will certainly try to help you in resolving any issues.

Thank you.
    --
    Michael Fedyulin

6. Magellan

Magellan Registered Member

Hello, Acronis support!
    Actually I have the same problem, as M_Sattari, since I've played with backup-restore. I'd like just to understand, that these steps will lead me to desider result of small incremental file.
    So, the situation is:
    - 750 MB full archive (backup of entire disk)
    - 2 GB 1st incremental archive
    - restoration of 1st incremental archive
    - addition of 200 MB of new data
    - 2.2 GB 2nd incremental archive <- this is a problem

Am I correct, that the following lead me to get 2nd incremental archive of approx 200 MB:
    - restoration of 1st incremental archive
    - deletion of 1st incr. archive
    - re-creation of 1st incr. archive
    - addition of 200 MB data
    - creation of 2nd incr. archive (which should be now approx. 200 MB of size)

Thank you very much in advance.
    BR / Ilya.

7. Magellan

Magellan Registered Member

So I tried yesterday what I proposed in the post above - negative result, last incr. archive again 2 GB! I wouldn't get into the ideas and implementation of this program, but just like to mention that with mechnisms realised, Image is not trully True :). If we imagine ordinar situation, when at one of steps of multi-archive backup the system crushes and we need to restore, after that you have to either begin from the beginning, or get incremental archieve "all included". After all investigations I feel myself very very dispirited and upset.
    Sorry for this rather offtopical post, but maybe this and many other ones could encourage you to implement more precise algorithm of creating and restoring information.

8. M_Sattari

Thanks for your reply.

So what is the difference of Partition backup & File backupo_O

I think It's not a good way to backing up a partition exactly. So it's not a True Image, it's an Semi-True Image. ;)

Regards.

9. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello M_Sattari,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

I'm sorry for not being accurate enough in my explanation. Please note that Acronis True Image operates on a sector level to create partition backup archive (disk/partition image). And if the file system on the partition is supported by Acronis True Image, it backs up only sectors which contain data. And file-based backup (backup of separate files/folders, application settings, e-mail) operates on a file-system level and back up only the data, along with the folder tree.

Please note that you can use files/folders backup to back up individual files/folders. However, please be aware that we can not guarantee that you will be able to restore your operating system to a working state by restoring the file-based backup of a system partition. Please also take a look at this previous thread and chapter 3.1 “The difference between file archives and disk/partition images” in the respective User's Guide for additional information.

If you have any further questions concerning Acronis software, please feel free to submit a request for technical support or post any of them on this forum. We will certainly try to help you in resolving any issues.

Thank you.
    --
    Michael Fedyulin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.