Incremental backup taking as long as full backup

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Adrian Stock, Nov 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Adrian Stock

Adrian Stock Registered Member

Incremental backup taking as long as full backup

18 Nov 2006

Hi,

I use Acronis Workstation 9.1, on a Windows 2000 computer with 2.6 GHz speed and 500 MB Ram.

I use a large removable IDE drive (300 GB) to hold my backups.

I want to make daily incremental backups (files and folders only). I have made my initial total backup (full backup).

I now go through the backup routine, select 'Files and Folders',
    select 'incremental' when the option appears. I know that only a handful of files have changed since the last incremental, so this one should only take 15 minutes or less.

However, Acronis takes almost 6 hours to produce this incremental backup, practically the same as a total backup. This is quite intolerable in practice. What am I doing wrong?

I have NOT done any defragmenting or large scale file reorganisation between successive backups.

The sizes of the files at present on my backup drive are as follows:

69.0 GB

460 MB
    016 MB
    309 MB

69.2 GB

01.4 GB
    01.3 GB

Any help gratefully received.

Adrian

2. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Did you select only the data folders (My Documents, OPutlook, etc.) you want to backup? If you selected all the folders, then there are lots and lots of operating system files and temp files that change. The key to Files and Folders backups is to only choose the data folders.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.