incremental backup questions?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by riechert, Jul 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. riechert

riechert Registered Member

Considering TI 8 or possibly BING & IFW/IMD. I really like the idea of incremental backups and the ability to schedule backups.

- Is each incremental backup a difference from the previous incremental or is it an increment from the last full image? In other words would I have to keep a series of incrementals along with the appropriate full or can I delete all but the latest incremental?

- When using TI to restore files from the images (not a complete restore) and given that the file to be restored is in more than one incremental, can I pick which incremental version (or even the full image version) to restore or is it always the last one?

- Same question for an image restore. If necessary, can I select which incremental to restore from or is the full and incrementals functionally looked at as one giant, up to date (hopefully ;) ) image?

Last edited: Jul 30, 2004
  2. mike_wells

mike_wells Registered Member

*puppy* Excellent questions! I've read and reread the users guide many times and I still do not have a clear picture in my head (I use TI7). As my images are not all that big and I have considerable drive space I just take fulls. Easier all the way around.

I believe what you are looking for is actually termed "differentials" in all the b/u software I've ever seen. That is where you only need to restore the original full image and then only the last of the "incremental" images on top of the full.

I will be keeping my eye on your thread. Hopefully Anton or someone will get this cleared up once and for all. *puppy*

3. riechert

riechert Registered Member

Previous backup software I've used did have both types of increments- what's changed since the last incremental backup and what's changed since the last full backup. That's why I asked.

As far as where I'm going to put the backups that's a little more up in the air. My primary disk drive is a 120M with several partitions. I also have my older 40G installed. I'll probably use some or all of the 40G for backups since, if the 120G dies, any backups I might have on it are lost. I'm just a little concerned that the 40G might not be enough. Depending on image compression, the overall size of the image files and what schedule I set up for backups I may well be worrying needlessly.

4. mike_wells

mike_wells Registered Member

I've always used b/u software that has included both (incrementals / differentials) too. Still waiting for Anton to read this thread so that maybe he will clarify for us. I did email Acronis months ago about this exact issue but again did not understand their answer.

Although I've had some problems with TI7 it is really one hell of a piece of imaging software when it is working correctly. I get frustrated with Acronis cuz I like their stuff so much and I just want it to work "perfectly" all of the time.

I think you can download a trial of v8 (however, there is a lot of flack about it right now) and give it a spin.

I have 2 80GB drives (4 partitions on the first and 2 on the second). Disk1 is my OS/data drive and houses 3 OS's. The second partition on Disk 2 is my image storage area (40GB). Make sure you do use your 2nd drive for the images. In the event of total disaster on your master, you'll be able to restore quickly after you go out and buy that new one!

TI7 is very quick in my estimation and will crush nearly 6GB down into about 4 1/4 or 4 1/2 GB at minimal compression. Normal compression mashes it down a little further but takes a little longer. The above example takes about 11 minutes on my machine (1.2GB CPU/ATA 100 HDD's). A restore of same about 9 or 10.

Mike *puppy*

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Riechert --

1) Each incremental contains changes since last incremental, so you need all the previous incrementals in order to restore from the last one.

2)-3) You can restore from whatever image you want.

Thank you.

--
    Best regards,
    Anton Gromov

Acronis, Inc.
    395 Oyster Point Blvd. Suite 213
    South San Francisco
    CA 94080 USA
    http://www.acronis.com/

Acronis... Compute with confidence

6. clam729

clam729 Guest

acronis support, your answer is similar to the users guide, vague.

once and for all, because there are a few of us posting messages similar to this one, here you go.

i have an image (named BACKUP.TIB) and 10 incrementals (named BACKUP1.TIB, BACKUP2.TIB, etc.) creatly as a nightly task.

so. if i select BACKUP10.TIB (the last one) to restore, will it restore the HDD to the state that is was at the time BACKUP10 was created ? Which would include the first image and ALL other incrementals ?

7. wdormann

wdormann Registered Member

Actually, I think the information presented is quite clear.

You don't need to select a particular incremental backup to restore. Pick any of the TIB files from the backup. You can pick the first full backup, the last incremental, or any backup file inbetween... the resulting dialog will be the same regardless.

It will present you with a list of all dates available for the backup set. From there, you pick the date that you would like to restore from. TrueImage will then restore your computer to the state at that date, using files as necessary from any or all of the TIB files in the set.

8. clam729

clam729 Guest

thanks for your reply - it answers the question(s) perfectly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.