incremental backup question

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by noneleft, Jul 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. noneleft

noneleft Registered Member

I made a full system backup a few weeks ago and Acronis made 5 backup files files "full_backup1" to ""full_backup5". When I came to making my first incremental backup, I needed to choose the file. As I wasn't sure which file to choose I just clicked the first one "full_backup1". I now have files all the way up to "full_backup17". Is this correct? The reason for this query is that I was expecting only one backup file when I did my full system backup, instead of the 5 files I originally ended up with.

I hope this question makes sense...

2. max0071

max0071 Registered Member

your backup media is probably usb external...........fat32........you need to convert to NTFS

3. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

Yes, noneleft, it does make sense.

The reason for unrequested splitting of image files is probably the FAT32 format of the external, as max0071 says.

TI will regard the images split into 5 files as a multivolume archive. For any operation from inside TI you can select any single file comprising the multivolume archive and you have selected the entire image. Therefore, your incrementals were started correctly and their files just expanded the first multivolume (full image) archive.

Whenever you want to perform a restore from such a full+incrementals image, select any one file out of this set and you'll be presented with a list of dates (corresponding to the dates the full and each incremental were created on) to select from and consequently restore to.

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello noneleft,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

I am sorry for the delayed response.

Would agree with max0071 and bVolk about the filesystem on the destination hard drive.

Please note that Acronis True Image 9.0 Home uses the following scheme to "generate" backup archive names (the number may be added in the following cases):

- If you created the incremental/differential backup archive. The differential/incremental backups file names based on the full backup archive file name, i. e. the full backup is MyBackup.tib then the first differential/incremental backup will be MyBackup2.tib, second MyBackup3.tib and so on.

- If the archive was splitted into several file (automatic or manually). In this case the numbers will be added starting from "1". MyBackup1.tib, MyBackup2.tib and so on. You might also have a look at Chapter 5.3.6 "Archive splitting" in the Acronis True Image 9.0 Home User's Guide.

As bVolk said if the backup archive was splitted into several files you can select any of its parts to restore it or to create differential/incremental based on it. Acronis True Image automatically recognize all parts of multi volume backup archive.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.