Incremental backup Acronis True Image 11 backup failed

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by FredricJLowe, Jul 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FredricJLowe

FredricJLowe Registered Member

I have Windows Vista, I set up and ran successfully a full backup of my new Dell XPS420 500gb hard drive to an external Western Digital 500 gb hard drive. I followed the tutorial that one of Acronis software sellers recommended and it completed successfully. There was about 70gb used on the full backup. Subsequent to that full backup I also did a 1 time full backup from my old internal hard drive from my former Compaq computer. That is now an external hard drive and that full backup was also successful. I set up an incremental backup schedule for the Dell to run weekly at 1am Saturday mornings. I forgot that I also had scheduled my weekly Webroot Spysweeper with Anti Virus at the same time at 1am. My concern when I first checked the log of the initial Dell backup was to open Acronis from the desktop I received the popup message box "A program needs your permission to continue, If you started this program, continue". I thought that this would be an issue when the incremental backup would run at 1am. This morning when I checked to see if the incremental backup succeeded or failed. It said it had completed with errrors. It hadn't run at all. I tried to manually run it (I can't attach a log file as a Word doc format of the attachment indicating the backip failure) What is causing this and how do we fix it? I wrote a new post on Wilder Security regarding the popup message and I've enclosed that along with 2 replies: Windwos Vista User Account Setting keeps coming up when opening Acronis True Image 11

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have installed and run a full backup on my new Dell XPS 420 quad core desktop with 500gb hard drive to a Western Digital External hard drive. I have it set for incremental backups weekly. When I checked the log the next morning to see if the full backup and validation was successful, I cliked on the Acronis icon and received the nagging Windows Vista user account settings message "A program needs your permission to continue, If you started this program, continue". I wrote to an Acronis user group reseller and he said, "the message you are getting is from Windows Vista and not from Acronis True Image. This sounds like a security setting somewhere in Vista that you can set to give this warning. Since it is bothering you, you should check into it and turn it off. Sorry, but I have no idea where to change this setting. Check with Microsoft or some of your Vista friends to see if they know how to do this"

Does anyone know how to eliminate this when Acronis launches while I am asleep for the weekly incremental backups without entirely turning off the user account security setting for the entire operating system? Is there a place to just allow this program to launch without this nagging user account setting message popping up? Here is the 1st reply I received:
    DwnNdrty
    Very Frequent Poster Join Date: Mar 2007

Re: Windwos Vista User Account Setting keeps coming up when opening Acronis True Image 11

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can turn it off in Control Panel>Users or it may be User Accounts (I don't have a Vista system running now to check). You can also use TweakUAC to suppress the pop-up without sacrificing the security feature.
    And here is the 2nd one:
    tuttle
    Frequent Poster Join Date: Mar 2005

Re: Windwos Vista User Account Setting keeps coming up when opening Acronis True Image 11

1. The Acronis user group reseller gave you bad advice, and he doesn't actually understand how Vista works. I recommend that you do not disable User Account Control. UAC is one of the benefits of Vista, as it makes the system much more secure.

2. If you schedule your ATI backups via Vista's Task Scheduler, they will run automatically. You would enter your administrator login only at the time of creating the task, not when it runs.
    So I do not know what to do at this point. Can you assist me on this? Did running the antivirus scan at the same time cause the problem and now when I attempt to do the manual incremental backup receive the errors because the Acronis software is corrupt from the antivirus scan? And then what should I do about the Windows Vista popup message? Will Vista allow the Acronis to launch by iteself or do I have to do what poster #2 suggested, "I recommend that you do not disable User Account Control. UAC is one of the benefits of Vista, as it makes the system much more secure.

2. If you schedule your ATI backups via Vista's Task Scheduler, they will run automatically. You would enter your administrator login only at the time of creating the task, not when it runs.

I went into Task Manager but do not have a clue as to what I am supposed to do. Please advise. Thank you.

2. tuttle

tuttle Guest

1. As you are a newbie to ATI, I suggest that you spend time reading the PDF manual and also the various user guides linked to from signatures of senior members of this forum. You need to get a solid understanding of how ATI works and its various features. Then you can ask questions here to help clarify specific issues. ATI can be a complicated piece of software, so there's no substitute for reading the documentation.

2. You already have a thread about this. I don't see the benefit of opening this new thread and pasting in the replies you had from support and from me in the original thread.

3. FredricJLowe

Tuttle, with all due respect to your knowledge. I had no problems running Acronis True Image 9 & !0 Home Edition for the past 2 years on 2 computers running Windows XP. The problem I am experiencing is with Windows Vista.

I have a very good understanding on how ATI works. Vista is a real pain with the user account settings.

4. tuttle

tuttle Guest

As I already suggested in your other thread on the same topic:
    If you schedule your ATI backups via Vista's Task Scheduler, they will run automatically. You would enter your administrator login only at the time of creating the task, not when it runs.

I do exactly that on Vista, and the scheduled backup tasks run no problem.

5. FredricJLowe

OK Tuttle, I think that running inadvertently the virus scan at the same time of the incremental backup was part of the problem. Also, I had to take the desktop to Best Buy this week. By plugging the USB back into a different port, I think it changed the drive from J to F and it couldn't locate the file. I uninstalled Acronis and reinstalled it. Just successfully did a full backup and validation. I went into Windows Vista Task Scheduler and created the task for the incremental backup to run weekly at 1am on Sunday. I also created that task on Acronis as an incremental backup. I was'nt sure what you meant by "you would enter your administrator login only at the time of creating the task, not when it runs." I don't see that anywhere in the Acronis task scheduler. It just asks for my password on my desktop. Can you please clarify what I need to do if I have done something incorrect? BTW thank you for your assistance on this!!!

6. FredricJLowe

Tuttle, problem is resolved. When I awoke this morning the incremental backup had not started. Vista task did bring up the Acronis starting page to the Management Tools section. I had forgotten to change the Acronis scheduled task to the same time. I deleted the Vista task and started the incremental backup at a scheduled time and it opened and proceeded successfully and validated. I guess the Vista User Account Settings that I was concerned about are overidden by the Acronis task scheduler. I even did another backup a little later and that was successful as well.

So I think that the virus scan had corrupted the files and by unplugging the external hard drive and plugging it into a different USB port also caused the problem.

Thank you again for your assistance on this. I'll also try not to repost a new thread if one is already established. Sorry about that to the Forum.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.