incremant & differential in ti9 last build

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by mantra, Jan 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mantra

mantra Registered Member

hi
    i download the last version of ti9
    i make the fist image
    after i did differential backup , and for 4 times, acronis make 4 files image2,3,4,5 !!!

i make an image and after i did a incremental backup for 4 times, it made 4 files 2,3,4,5!!

in both case ti9 made a chain of files, i can't understand the diffent!

Last edited: Jan 12, 2006
  2. TheWeaz

TheWeaz Registered Member

As I understand it, each subsequent DIFF or INC backup name will contain the next number in sequence. So what you see is expected.
    A DIFF backup contains all the changes since the FULL, while an INC only contains the changes since the last INC (except for the first INC, which contains changes from the FULL).

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello mantra,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

TheWeaz is quite correct. It is a normal situation.

You can find more information about the difference between incremental and differential images in section 1.4 of Acronis True Image 9.0 User's Guide.

Please also take a look at this FAQ article explaining the issue.

If you have any further questions concerning Acronis software, please feel free to submit a request for technical support or report any of them on this forum. We will certainly try to help you in resolving any issues.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Last edited: Jan 13, 2006
  4. billwv

billwv Registered Member

I would like to ask a follow up question for clarification:

In the differential situation described, files 2, 3, and 4 are not used--is this correct? Why does the differential backup keep these files, it should just write over number 2, to conserve space which I thought was its purpose?

There seems to be no space saved with differential over incremental.

Thanks,

Bill

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Bill,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Yes, you are correct. Differential backup contains all data modified since any preceding backup (unlike incremental backup that contains data from the last backup only). To restore from a differential backup, one needs to have all backups preceding the backup being restored.

Please note that if you create a differential image and after that you create a differential image to the previous one, you need to use the full backup and both differential images in order to restore the latest differential image.

Please be aware that it's impossible to rewrite the old differential image by the new one.

If you want us to change the behaviour of Acronis True Image in any way or add some new features to this product, please feel free to post any of your suggestions in Acronis True Image WISH-LIST thread.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

6. Ozmaniac

Ozmaniac Registered Member

Tatyana, I understood that there was originally a mistake in the ATI9 User Guide and that it has been corrected (just checked and it has) to say that you only need the full backup and whichever differential you wish to use, in order to do a restore. I think the Support posting confirming this was from Irina, but I can't find it at the moment.:cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.