Incredibly Long Restore Time from Maxtor OneTouch II 300GB External Drive

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by mhallerman, Nov 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mhallerman

mhallerman Registered Member

Restoring 75GB partition from Sezure Zone on internal disk takes about 35 minutes which is fine, but when trying to restore from a Maxtor OneTouch II 300GB External Drive (USB), it takes a whopping 7 hours.

Have contacted support, who today tells me it's a known problem with the Maxtor Drive. I have a hard time with that answer - anyone else see this or have any solutions?

TIA,
    Mark.

2. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

Was this restore from the recovery CD? if so try the Bart PE CD with Acronis plugin. On my machine recovery was three times faster than the standard Acronis recovery CD. This was however with a WD USB drive but it may be worth a shot.

Xpilot.

3. mhallerman

XPilot,

It was not from a bootable cd...from the hardisk with an F11....

Thanks for the info - I would love to try it, but I'm using TI9 2302 and they told me there is not yet a BartPE Plugin for this version available so I can't try the boot from BartPE CD workaround yet.....

(or can whatever current version of the plugin be used? If so, even though I am registered, I don't see it downloadable anywhere on the site??)

Thanks,
    Mark.

4. plover

plover Guest

I also have problems with my USB devices when I am in the CD recovery environment. They just don't perform like they do under Windows, or not at all. Using the plugin under BartPE does make things right again for me.

Why Acronis doesn't use Windows PE is beyond me? Sure it probably would cost them some money to license it from MS. Sure it is more bloated and boots up slower than their Linux system. But almost every device that works under Windows proper should also work under PE.

5. plover

plover Guest

Never used the F11 thing but isn't it just the same as using the CD?

The plugin from TI8 works fine in TI9. For me at least.

6. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello Mark,

Just so that we are clear, rebooting into recovery mode from Windows, via the F11 Startup Recovery Manager feature or via the bootable rescue CD "Full" option has the same result, namely you end up in the Linux based rescue environment.

Regards

7. mhallerman

Plover & Menorcaman,

Thanks for the input - seems to be some difference here - plover is talking about using the BartPE boot with plugin and Menorcaman is referencing the standard rescue cd - the two environements are different - one being Linux based and the other Windows.

I really want to try the BartPE Asconis Plugin - will attempt to get that from them and will post the results...

Thanks,
    Mark.

8. plover

plover Guest

No disagreement. CD and F11 = Linux. BartPE = Windows PE.

Just wished CD and F11 = Windows PE. Or much better Linux support for devices.

9. mhallerman

Absolutely! :)

I don't know why they don't make the plugin readily available to TI9 users - I can't find it on the site when logged in - I sent them an email and am awaiting their response - hopefully with the latest ver of the plugin...

Thanks plover,
    Mark.

10. SysEng

SysEng Guest

Mahallerman,
    May I ask what kind of Motherboard you have? The reason being is that it seems that some of the newer BIOS that are coming out are causing an issue with USB2.0 support in a legacy environment. I just bought a DFI Ultra nf4 SLI-DR motherboard and while the BIOS supports USB bootable devices (ie external USB drives or fusb flash drives) it appears that the BIOS will only "hand off" control of the ECHI controller to a Windows environment. Therefore, when WinXP starts loading, it is able to load the USB2.0 drivers and your USB2.0 devices operate at USB2.0 speeds.
    However, it the case of a the TI9 Boot CD, it is a Linux environment and when the Generic USB2.0 ECHI driver attempts to load, the BIOS will not release control for the driver to being the USB2.0 devices up to USB 2.0 speed so you are stuck at USB1.1 speeds. I, for one, get a specific error message that the ehci_hcd 00:02:01 BIOS HANDOFF FAILED where 00:02:01 is the address of the EHCI controller with handles the USB2.0 device "speed". The OHCI controller (which handles 1.1 speed) can be handled by BIOS so I get USB functionality but at USB1.1 speed. This sounds like what is happening to you.
    My Abit IC7-G can handle USB2.0 from the TI9 Boot CD and also Ghost 2003 boot disk just fine but the DFI cannot.
    If you want to test and see if it is a BIOS limitation, I can help you with that. Just reply and post your e-mail and I can give you my tech support number to call and we can t/s this in about 20min for verification. It is just easier for me to work with you in 20min then keep checking message back and forth over a few days.

Jake

11. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello everyone,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

I would like to confirm the following statements:

- Both Bootable Rescue CD and Acronis Startup Recovery Manager (so-called "F11 feature") have identical Linux based rescue environment;

- Our Development Team is working on Acronis True Image 9.0 plug-in for BartPE at the moment. The new plug-in will be available on our web-site in the near future.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

12. Acronis Support

Hello mhallerman,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Could you please let me know your Acronis request # which can be found in the subject of the letters that you received from Acronis Support? I'll review the correspondence and see what more can be done.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

13. Acronis Support

Hello plover,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software..

Please make sure that you use the latest build (2302) of Acronis True Image 9.0 which is available at: http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/support/updates/

To get access to updates you should create an account at:
    http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/my/
    then log in and use your serial number to register your software.

Please create new Bootable Rescue CD after installing the update, boot your PC from this CD and see if any of the problems with your USB devices still persist.

If yes, then please create Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

If you will not be able to create that sysinfo.txt file for some reasons then please boot from the Acronis True Image 9.0 rescue disc once more and press F11 key when the "Starting Acronis Loader..." message appears.

After you get the "Linux Kernel Settings" prompt, please remove the "quiet" word, click on the OK button. As the startup messages stop scrolling please write down the last few lines of the output, or use a digital camera to make shots of the output screens.

Please also create Acronis Report in the way described below:

- Download and run Acronis Report Utility;
    - Select the "Create Bootable Floppy" option;
    - Insert a blank floppy disk in the A: drive and proceed with creation of the bootable floppy;
    - Boot the computer from this diskette and wait for report creation process to finish;
    - Collect the report file from the floppy.

Please keep your USB devices connected while creating Acronis Report and Linux system information.

Please also collect the following information:

- The exact models and vendors of the USB devices that do not work properly when Acronis True Image is running from Bootable Rescue CD;

- Have you received any error messages? What exact messages? When exactly you receive them?

- Describe actions taken before the problem appears step-by-step;

Submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

14. Chris12923

Chris12923 Registered Member

I also have a maxtor One touch 200 gig USB drive and the recovery times are just a little slower than my SATA hard drive I assume this is because of the USB interface. I'm only talking about 1 taking 3 minutes the other taking 4. I get pretty much the same results with TI8 and TI9. Just letting you know that it can work on a One Touch with good results. I hope you get the problem fixed either way. Good luck.

Thanks,

Chris

15. mhallerman

Thanks Alexy - Irina has responded to me touching base on my open issues...

Appreciate the response in any event...

Thanks,
    Mark.

16. mhallerman

Jake,

Thanks for the detailed response.

My board is listed as:
    Model: Dell Computer Corp 02Y832
    Chipset: Intel 865PE (Springdale-PE) + ICH5

You can contact me at mhallerman~at~yahoo~dot~com
    Please adjust email accordingly...

Thanks,
    Mark.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.