InCD vs Sonic 'Record Now'

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by beckygb, Feb 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beckygb

beckygb Registered Member

I have Sonic ‘Record Now” ver 6.5.3 which allows formatting DVD and CD +/-R and +/-RW with UDF. This came with my Dell laptop. This works great for backing up TI8 using the UDF formatting (you also need DLA). It will format write-once DVDs. I had no problems backing up directly to DVD +/-R after formatting.

A couple months ago I installed Nero 7 and InCD. Nero will not allow me to format DVDs with ‘Record Now’ or do UDF formatting write-once DVDs. Formatting with InCD is flaky, at least in my experience and I could no longer do the direct backup to DVDs. After messing with InCD for a month or so I gave up.

I removed InCD, but kept the rest of Nero 7. I can now format DVDs using “’Record Now’ UDF again and the direct backup to DVDs is working 100% again!

Just thought I would pass this on.

Becky

2. beckygb

PS: Am I missing something with Nero? Is there a way to prepare a DVD+/-R to do the ‘direct’ method? In addition to backing up to an external USB HDD, I like to preserve my end of month backup to DVDs.

I have only seen formatting DVD +/-RW with Nero. I would prefer to use Nero as I would have more control over the burning process.

3. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hi beckygb,

No, you've not missed anything in Nero. As far as I'm aware, Sonic/Roxio UDF packet writing software is the only application that can "format" DVD+/-R disks. However, it's not formatting in the normally accepted sense as that's impossible with write-once media. I believe it's merely a clever variation on multi-session recording.

Just so we are clear, Ahead's Nero doesn't "format" CD or DVD +/-RW disks (it can erase +/-RW media). Formatting is carried out via Ahead's InCD :cool:.

Regards

4. beckygb

Thank you, Menorcaman, for your reply. I suspected Sonic wasn’t actually ‘formatting’ the write-once DVD as the procedure was too fast for full formatting. I am always interested in your comments, as you are so knowledgeable.

Even though I am using TI8 with no problems I still like to come to the forum as I learn so much. I did buy the upgrade to TI9, and tried it several builds ago with the usual corrupt files problems. I have the current TI9 build, but I haven’t been in any hurry to try it. After fighting with some of the earlier TI9 builds I realized my prime interest in TI was doing image files, which TI8 does very well.

I have another program to do data files backup occasionally. But I prefer full images to selected data file backups. With data file backups you can forget a critical file that is not saved in the usual places, with full image backup that is not a problem. Also image backups have given me confidence to experiment in tweaking XP Pro SP2 as I can always roll back.

5. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hi beckgb,

Glad you managed to sort out imaging "direct" to DVDs in the end.

Personally I use Nero Burning ROM in conjuction with InCD and have never experienced a problem whilst imaging direct to DVDs. I'm not sure but I think the problem you ran into with Ahead's InCD was caused by clashes with Sonic's UDF packet writing software. The golden rule is never to have two packet writing applications installed at the same time.

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.