Inbuilt undelete for Windows XP

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Wai_Wai, Oct 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wai_Wai

Wai_Wai Registered Member

Vista comes with an inbuilt undelete. I find it very useful.

Unlike file recovery software, I think it will back up any deleted and changed files for a specific time. If you mis-delete a file, you can easily restore since a copy is ready. Even if you mis-saved/changed the existing file, you can restore to the older version too. It is a 100% way which files can be recovered.

I don't like the current method which file recovery software uses. It is unreliable. They search for deleted files hoping that it is not overwritten. Not just that. Sometimes even if I tries to recover deleted files immediately after I mis-deleted a file, it still couldn't find and recover it. It should have not been overwritten yet. Weird!
    Also it couldn't help if you has accidentally mis-overwritten your PhD thesis.

Question:
    Does anyone know whether there is a good and reliable file backup/versioning software for Windows XP which can offer features like what Vista does?

It doesn't matter even if it is shareware.

2. Wai_Wai

Up. Don't let Windows Vista has one thing better than Windows XP. :(
    Is there any software which can do what Windows Vista provides?

3. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Absolutely :cool: In the form of an app named FirstDefense-ISR. It not only duplicates files/folders but also settings and allows to even archive those same files, heck, EVERY SINGLE FILE/FOLDER as in EVERYTHING! Mishaps like deleting a needed file is no problem as long as a program stores copies of them for you.

4. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

Doesn't Avira offer an "undelete" programo_O

5. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Yeh, avira offers a free program called unerase for personal use. Thats what i use and it seems to work pretty good.

6. Wai_Wai

How does it really work?

I know there are plenty of file recovery software but they are not reliable. Even files deleted just a few minutes ago can't be recovered for some reasons.

If Avira Unerase can keep my deleted files for a specific period and recover when I need, it would be what I want. I read the website description, it doesn't say how it works.

PS: Found the manual. It is just another file recovery program. That is not what I want. I want a 100% mechanism which will keep all my deleted/changed files safe. The mechanism is it will catch all deleted files and at least 1 old version of changed file. Keep them over a specific period before they are truly deleted.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2007
  7. Wai_Wai

As far as I know, it snapshot my whole system.
    Is it possible to recover one file only?

Also I don't switch off the computer often. I hibernate it most of the time.
    It can't protect my files up to the second like the one mentioned in my first post.
    This will also occupy more space than I want.

Anyway this is viable solution but doesn't fit all my needs.

8. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Hi Wai_Wai

If you're referring to FD-ISR the answer is NO.

FD-ISR protects it's snapshot folders from user-mode access, but with the explorer-like program XYplorer which also is a Shareware commercial product, it CAN!

9. Espresso

Espresso Registered Member

AJC Active Backup

http://www.ajcsoft.com/AJCActBk.php

10. Wai_Wai

Thank you.

Found a open source program called Fundelete. It says it will catch all deleted files into the enhanced recycle bin.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.