In Your Opinion

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by jpcummins, Aug 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jpcummins

jpcummins Registered Member

I currently have Trend Micro Anti-Spyware 3.5 (paid version) installed on my system. As I did not have a very favorable experience with the support staff I am considering not renewing. In anticipation of this I have downloaded Avast Home Edition 4.7.1029 but have not installed it. I would appreciate hearing opinions as to whether or not this would be a good decision on my part. Anyone have an opinion as to how the Avast Home Edition (free version) stacks up against Trend Micro (paid version). Thanking you in advance for your comments.

2. disinter1

disinter1 Guest

Well, I hope you install Avast home edition because you need an anti-virus first and foremost, so get that done. I actually liked trend micro anti-spyware, but feel like trend micro doesn't support it anymore, please someone correct me if I'm wrong, but your anti-spyware complements your antivirus, so look into which one you would like to use, some good ones are Superantispyware Pro or counterspy. Tell us how it goes:D

3. Sjoeii

Sjoeii Registered Member

My choice would be SuperAntispyware. It is fast and very secure. It runs very well next to a lot of AV's

4. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Thread moved from "other anti-virus software" to "other anti-malware software" since you appear to be asking about a replacement for "Trend Micro Anti-Spyware 3.5" which is their anti-spyware product, not their anti-virus. Otherwise, this would have been an AV comparison thread which we don't do anymore.

Are you really looking at avast! as a general anti-malware replacement for Trend Micro's Anti-Spyware product? That's why the first two replies you got are recommending anti-malware replacement products.

5. Drew99GT

Drew99GT Registered Member

You need an anti-malware software. I'd recomend Antivir free edition for antivirus/antitrojan (has fantastic trojan detection plus the best heuristics) and either Counterspy or Superantispyware Pro for anti-malware. With spyware/malware protection, I think you basically need to pay to play - to get the best protection, especially if you do banking and whatnot online. IF, you don't want to use compicated HIPS type products which are more of a PITA than help IMO.

6. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Avast Home won't replace an antispyware program.
    I think it's a good program and may be a replacement for Trend Micro's antivirus but you talking about an antispyware program.
    If you are going to dump Trend Micro Antispyware you may want to look at something like SAS Pro,A-Squared Antimalware,CounterSpy....

7. Threedog

Threedog Registered Member

Definately Superantispyware and if you don't mind spending a little money get the Pro version.

8. cp4eva

cp4eva Registered Member

Quoted for truth- Counterspy and SAS are both very affordable and well worth more than what they're being licensed for.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.