Improved Access to Country IP Blocks Data

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Tech Manager, Apr 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tech Manager

Tech Manager Registered Member

We've just completed round one of the Country IP Blocks web redesign and would love to have some feedback.

In a nutshell, Country IP Blocks provides a set of tools for webmasters, network and server administrators or anyone interested in blocking and/or allowing network or website access by specific countries.

Changes made:

We reduced the number of pages from 1000 to less than 20. We moved all the Access Control Lists to the front page and allow multiple countries to be selected at once in CIDR, Subnet Mask or .htaccess deny/allow formats (Additional rule sets are coming soon).

We added additional IP, binary, decimal calculators (Additional network calculators will be added in May and June).

We moved the Search function from one specific page to the top right navigation to allow IP searched from any page.

We changed some script/database algorithms to greatly increase access speeds.

We changed our focus from graphical design to one of simplicity and speed of access to accommodate those webmasters and network managers who desire speed and function over appearance.

The site now instantly generates .htaccess deny and allow lists, plus CIDR and Subnet Masks lists for 244 countries worldwide. The data is updated a minimum of twice daily.

Please review the site and offer any ideas for improvement.

2. MikeNAS

MikeNAS Registered Member

Looking very good. Thanks a lot! Is there any possibility to generate country block list where is starting and ending points? Of course I can replace CIDR codes myself but but... :D

EDIT:

62.44.192.0/18 -> 62.44.192.0-62.44.255.255 and so on...

3. Tech Manager

Are you talking about the opening and closing IP Addresses? For example:

Network: 89.64.0.0
    CIDR: 12
    Netmask: 255.240.0.0
    Starting Network Address = 89.64.0.0
    Ending Network Address = 89.79.255.255
    Total addresses: 1,048,576

We can output the data in just about any format needed. Let me know if this is what you are after.

4. MikeNAS

Yes I'm talking about that. I like to choose country/countries and then get list where isn't any cidr's but is opening (starting) and closing (ending).

5. Tech Manager

Sure, I can do that. How about a link back to the site in exchange? Or not. :)

6. MikeNAS

I think that I don't need that because I don't understand what you mean :D

7. Tech Manager

I meant that it would be nice if you would place a hyperlink on your website to www.countryipblocks.net. so that all your friends can find my website.

In the meantime, I have added the feature you requested. Go to the Country IP Blocks homepage. On the webform select IP Range, then select the country or countries you want, click submit...and you should have the data in the format you requested.

Please let me know if there are other features you would like.

8. MikeNAS

Awesome! Thanks a lot! That's everything what I want/need. Yes I can add your web address and actually I'm going to post thread to one of the OC Forum in Finland.

EDIT: I just tested it and is there bug or am I understand something wrong?!

I choose country Finland and here is one example.

IP range:

62.44.192.0 - 62.45.0.0

CIDR:

62.44.192.0/18

So it should be 62.44.192.0-62.44.255.255? 62.45.0.0 IP Address assigned to: NETHERLANDS

Last edited: Apr 8, 2008
  9. Tech Manager

I will troubleshoot it as soon as I get back to my office. Give me a couple of hours. (The range is assigned to Finland, not Netherlands).

Last edited: Apr 8, 2008
  10. MikeNAS

No hurry. It's late evening in Finland so I continue my "home" works tomorrow.

11. Tech Manager

You did notice a bug. Thanks for finding it. The problem has been fixed.

it should be 62.44.192.0-62.44.255.255
    IP Range assigned to: FINLAND

12. MikeNAS

It's so awesome that I can generate list where is all other IP except Finland. Then I just add info what PeerGuardian needs (" - " should be "-" and everyline need header like "ALL:"). Then I just add that list to PeerGuardian and that's it. Almost whole (except Finland) world is blocked and greatest thing is that it use only 2,5MB memory and CPU usage is something like 0%.

Of course this is just testing what I can do with that list and PeerGuardian.

EDIT: Blocking 2611618432 IPs :D :D :D

13. Tech Manager

I hope that means you like it. If so, send all your friends.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.