imon startup after installing linux (dual boot)

Discussion in 'Other ESET Home Products' started by Vlatko27, Jul 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vlatko27

Vlatko27 Registered Member

ok i decided to ask this here as well, nothing to loose.
    i really wanna learn linux and i'm installing various distros over and over again, numerous times. but the thing which is crucial is that my windows install stays in tip top shape. and that is never the case.

i have windows installed and working beautifully, imon starts up right after the welcome screen. but always when i add a linux install imon takes about 2 minutes to load, and my computer is practically useless untill that nod32 splash screen goes away and imon starts up. after that everything works. that is just so irritating. i can't accept windows to boot like that. i know it is a imon issue, i just don't know how a fresh install of linux messes that up. if i delete the newly created partition of linux and reboot my pc starts up instantly and imon loads right away.

anyone here dualbooting linux with xp and having same issues? what could be the cause of this?

2. alglove

alglove Registered Member

Ugh, that sounds terrible. How do you know that it is an IMON issue, and not something else like AMON scanning the boot sectors? That may provide some sort of clue....

3. Vlatko27

it really is irritating..
    well cause i had this sort of problem occur before, without adding any linux installation, where the splash screen would stay for like 2 minutes. but then i followed blackspears guide to repairing the imon and that worked, only in this case it doesn't. i really don't know what gives. it works normally, than after adding a linux installation this happens and there's nothing i can do about it.

erm, how can i know if it's amon scanning the boot sector? :D

4. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

I would suggest repairing Winsock, then repair IMON; see post number 40 HERE

Let us know how you go...

Cheers :D

5. Vlatko27

no go. first i tried repairing with "winsockxpfix" then repairing the imon and it didn't work. then i tried the step by step instructions with the deleting the registry key and then repairing imon and still doesn't work. :mad:

6. pc-support

pc-support Registered Member

I just cant see how an antivirus program installed on a windows partition can possibly affect the startup of a linux partition o_O

Especially the network monitoring part of it.

It sounds absolutely impossible...

7. Vlatko27

actually it's the other way around. a new install of linux, on a different partition, seems to affect the boot up of windows.

8. alglove

alglove Registered Member

AMON --> Setup --> Detection --> Scan boot sectors on... --> Access.

Try disabling that feature and see if that makes a difference.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.