IMON only scans Outlook, not Outlook Express

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by maxqc, Mar 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seamaiden

seamaiden Registered Member

Thank you for your answers. I'm very glad I did a search before posting a new topic, because this existing topic seemed more appropriate.

We have a difference of opinion between Blackspear and Marcos about IMON's ability to scan POP3/SMTP in Microsoft Outlook. Am I to assume that Marcos is correct?

Simply changing one word, adding or deleting one word, or rephrasing incorrectly could make the sentence untrue. It is good to clarify things to make SURE they are understood. Thank you for your patience.

True, False or Don't know

7. Web-based email (HTTP) that does not use POP3/SMTP or MAPI is scanned by IMON. Attachments are scanned by both IMON and AMON.

8. IMON scans POP3, SMTP and HTTP traffic regardless of the mail client / browser used. That includes Microsoft Outlook and Outlook Express. Web-based email is also included in this category. Attachments are scanned by both IMON and AMON. SSL-based mail is scanned only by AMON.

(Therefore, the title of this thread 'IMON only scans Outlook, not Outlook Express' would be a false statement, because IMON scans both clients for POP3, SMTP and HTTP.)

9. IMON cannot read SSL. It's impossible to scan SSL traffic at Winsock level. If your email uses SSL encryption, the AMON real-time file scanner will protect your inbox provided that you read all mail in plain text (instead of HTML) and make sure that preview is turned off.

10. NNTP news messages from Outlook Express and other news clients are not scanned by IMON or EMON. AMON scans these.

11. EMON scans the MAPI email through Microsoft Outlook. With other mail clients, IMAP communication will not be scanned. However, AMON would scan the attachments upon saving them to the disk. EMON does not support POP3, SMTP and HTTP. IMON handles these.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2006
  2. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Correct :D

3. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

7 true
    8 true (i think)
    9 true
    10 true
    11 true

4. Lollan

Lollan Registered Member

I'm just glad it scans Opera's integrated mail client :)

5. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

True, False or Don't know

7. Web-based email (HTTP) that does not use POP3/SMTP or MAPI is scanned by IMON. Attachments are scanned by both IMON and AMON.

True

[AMON - resident on-access monitor]

[ IMON - Internet monitor - scans e-mails incoming via the POP3 protocol as well as HTTP traffic]

8. IMON scans POP3, SMTP and HTTP traffic regardless of the mail client / browser used. That includes Microsoft Outlook and Outlook Express. Web-based email is also included in this category. Attachments are scanned by both IMON and AMON. SSL-based mail is scanned only by AMON.
    (Therefore, the title of this thread 'IMON only scans Outlook, not Outlook Express' would be a false statement, because IMON scans both clients for POP3, SMTP and HTTP.)

True

IMON (Internet MONitor), is the second NOD32 resident scanner. It runs on the Winsock level and scans internet traffic (e-mail) incoming via the POP3 protocol. IMON replaces the NOD32’s for POP3 filter (known from the former NOD32 version) with enhanced email protection. Almost no configuration is required, which is great for non-technical users.

Ports used by the POP3 protocol – a list of ports used by the POP3 protocol (110 by default). In some specific cases, you might need to add an additional port number (e.g. if you use an antispam filter).

9. IMON cannot read SSL. It's impossible to scan SSL traffic at Winsock level. If your email uses SSL encryption, the AMON real-time file scanner will protect your inbox provided that you read all mail in plain text (instead of HTML) and make sure that preview is turned off.

True.

Note: For that IMON works on Winsock level, it is not possible to make it check encrypted SSL communication on port 995. Also, adding ports used by other protocols (e.g. MAPI, FTP, etc.) will not make IMON check that communication either.

10. NNTP news messages from Outlook Express and other news clients are not scanned by IMON or EMON. AMON scans these.

True

11. EMON scans the MAPI email through Microsoft Outlook. With other mail clients, IMAP communication will not be scanned. However, AMON would scan the attachments upon saving them to the disk. EMON does not support POP3, SMTP and HTTP. IMON handles these.

True

EMON (Email MONitor), a complementary resident module, scans e-mails incoming via MAPI interface. MAPI interface is used e.g. in the following e-mail clients: Microsoft Outlook 95, 97, 2000 (not Outlook Express) in the Corporate mode and in MS Exchange. MAPI interface is used also when receiving e-mails from the Microsoft Exchange Mail Server via the Exchange protocol.

6. Alec

Alec Registered Member

I just wanted to respond to this one because it was a source of confusion for me as well until recently. However, in this Wilders thread alglove did an admirable job of explaining exactly what MAPI is and how it works in association with MS Outlook.

Apparently, "Extended MAPI" is not really a networking level messaging protocol but rather a means of accessing and manipulating the message store in Outlook from an outside application. So, as I now understand it, EMON can scan messages in MS Outlook no matter how they got there. EMON doesn't care about transport protocols because through it's use of Extended MAPI it can scan the messages from within Outlook as they arrive (and presumably before they are sent). So, it's not really appropriate to say that EMON does not support protocols like POP3, SMTP, etc.; because while EMON doesn't, Outlook does, and if Outlook can receive them then EMON can in turn scan them from within Outlook via MAPI.

I also just wanted to add that, as far as I know, IMON does not handle either SMTP or IMAP... only POP3 and HTTP.

7. scorpionzero

scorpionzero Registered Member

My friend NOD32 looks like scan all the e-mail in Outlook Express. And a message appear in her Outlook Express for every e-mail she sent or inbox like this:

__________ NOD32 1.1377 (20060124) Information __________

This message was checked by NOD32 antivirus system.
    http://www.eset.com

:ninja:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.