Immunet Protect 2.0

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Pedersen, Jun 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alhuger

alhuger Registered Member

Gents,

The conversation about toolbars is a bit silly. Free products need a way to monetize themselves or they simply cannot continue to exist. For the most part these toolbars add a very minor amount of cash flow to a company but it helps.

When you are small, things like this help you to still ship software yet hold true to your vision. You should be thankful for them because they allow small guys to innovate and still help cover costs. Software is an eco system that needs people to contribute and as much as I'd like it to do it for free, I can't. Complaining about the presence of an easily avoided, optional toolbar is, well, a waste of your energy. You can always move along to another free product which has no such encumbrances, honestly it would be a better use of your time.

al

2. clocks

clocks Registered Member

Agreed. I don't remember seeing this kind of uproar when Avast started including Chrome. Or CCleaner started included add-ons.

For years free software has including toolbars and other offers to help cover costs. There is no such thing as a free lunch. A toolbar, that can be opt'd out off, is a small price to pay.

3. Pedersen

Pedersen Registered Member

Just posting again because some people doesn't seems to understand it.

People this have gone too far!!

The ask toolbar is installed by default because Immunet need the dollar or two it gives per installation. We in immunet doesn't like it though and it is not here to stay!
    Nothing, and I mean nothing is completely free. The Immunet team need to pay the rent, otherwise this project cannot continue. Most Free AV today does (Norton, Webroot ect.) and does this for good reason. Bottom line, we need it and it only takes you 2 seconds to uncheck it during install. This conversation is bordering on ridiculous.

I look at it this way
    If my grandmother installs it, she probably won't pay attention and never us it, but Immunet will make a dollar or two on that install.

If any of you guys have another way to earn a couple of money please mail me at: pedersen@immunet.com i would like to hear and discuss the options.

Dont hope I offend any of you by this thread but some of you have gone too far...

4. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

Granny might well notice though when half the browser screen is taken up by ASK,Yahoo,Google,etc. junkware toolbars.

Much as I hate these things though I can understand the need for companies to generate revenue,it seems that whatever method is used it'll upset some folks.:doubt:

5. buckslayr

buckslayr Registered Member

Alfred and the whole group @ Immunet have been spectacular through the whole beta and now final release process. I really want to see them succeed. If they need to include an option for a toolbar to help cover costs then so be it! I think that the end result will be an awesome product.

6. shadek

shadek Registered Member

Damnit, even µTorrent asks for AskToolbar to get installed during installation.

~Possibly offensive phrase removed.~ let's go bowling" - The Big Lebowski

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2010
  7. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

:thumb: :thumb: I agree. Don't listen to the other folks that are unaware of the costs of making and up keep of an AV company. Developers don't work for free and I'm sure they would love to eat. An opt out toolbar is a small price to pay for a free product. Yeah I know that panda doesn't have one. Panda has also been around for years. Lets not be oh so petty.

8. Doraemon

Doraemon Registered Member

I tested the app an it's really cool! Plus, they're not as greedy as PACV Pro which is too expensive IMO (>60 € for 3 years 1 PC!). :thumb:

So I'm buying a 2-year 3-PC license after posting this. :D

BTW, about the toolbar thing: what's the big deal about it? Yes, ASK is pure crap and myself being a computer's technician makes me hate it even more. I can't tell you how many computers I cleaned where the toolbars occupied some 40-50% of the browser's window! :thumbd:

But who's guilty for having zillions of toolbars installed? You guessed it right, the ignorant user. It's amazing to see that NONE of my clients ever complain for having that many toolbars! It's just unbelievable! :rolleyes: If they're so ignorant for not knowing that they actually have those toolbars, they well deserve to be plagued and pay for a professional cleaning. :argh:

So, in brief, I don't care if Immunet "asks" to install ASK. You have the choice to untick, plain and simple. They need that extra income as a new company trying to build some ground with payed but also with free products.

Keep it up Immunet! You're in the right path and I hope that you can be as successful as Prevx (or even more!). :thumb:

PS: I'm a Prevx customer too! But will not install them on the same computers. :argh:

9. LODBROK

LODBROK Guest

Same as Avast:
    http://www.softpedia.com/get/Antivirus/Avast-Home-Edition.shtml
    Same as PC Tools:
    http://www.softpedia.com/get/Antivirus/Avast-Home-Edition.shtml
    http://www.softpedia.com/get/Internet/Popup-Ad-Spyware-Blockers/Spyware-Doctor.shtml
    Same as AVG:
    http://www.softpedia.com/get/Antivirus/AVG-Free-Edition.shtml
    Same as Comodo:
    http://www.softpedia.com/get/Security/Security-Related/COMODO-Internet-Security.shtml
    Same as Norton:
    http://www.softpedia.com/get/Security/Firewall/Norton-Internet-Security.shtml
    Same as... Oh, that's enough!
    (Ad-Supported tagged Softpedia links valid as of 6/18 00:38 UTC.)

Looks great, doesn't it? :shifty:
    Most excellent levels of confidence!!
    Immunet, please don't think again as this is what you want. Ad-supported security software commands the marketplace.
    @Triple Helix :thumbd:

The only reason for the whining and sniveling about Immunet Free's ad-supported installer is because the new kid on the block had the nerve to show up here at Prevx's "official" forum site and sprinkle itchy dust in the under shorts of all its Fanboiz.

10. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

OUch. Someone got owned.

11. PC__Gamer

PC__Gamer Registered Member

I see no problem in adding any toolbar to the installation as long as its optional.

People who don't check what's being installed maybe shouldn't be the person installing.

If it creates revenue, why not abuse the ability to get some cash?

12. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

they have removed it in the latest version. Although I understand the reasoning behind it, there is something odd with a preselected bundled toolbar in security software

13. smith2006

smith2006 Registered Member

Unless one has the habit of just clicking "Next" during software installation, he will not miss the option. :p

14. J_L

J_L Registered Member

The full scanning speed should really be improved.. Almost 5 hours, had to cancel.
    Going to uncheck E-mail and archive scanning next time. Can someone explain what deep scan scan for? Registry settings and .chm files?

15. clocks

clocks Registered Member

I agree with you. I tried running a full scan last night, and after an hour+ I finally just killed it.

16. buckslayr

buckslayr Registered Member

Does anyone know if scanning speed improves over consecutive scans?

17. Einsturzende

Einsturzende Registered Member

But Immunet already have a paid version, now it have two paid versions, one of them they call "free", it is crippled pro, have ask and have ad for pro version... it is not free, it is adware, I paid for it by looking at ad... If I already have to look at ad why you crippled it, Immunet?

18. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

I was looking at this, but with Avira, Avast and AVG giving out free AV apps, why even bother with this?

19. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Now I have huge RAM hog from svchosts.exe, CleanMem can't change it..
    Doesn't seem related to Immunet except for maybe program compatibility (which did something automatically when Immunet GUI wouldn't respond). At least that's what Process Explorer says..
    Maybe it's time to use Revo Uninstaller. Honestly, I've expected better.

20. J_L

J_L Registered Member

After uninstalling, RAM usage is quite a bit lower. Does it store signatures there? dcm.dll is locked for some reason (didn't reboot yet).
    Comodo is also using more RAM, but can't clean it because of self-protection.

Disk usage seems to be less now.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2010
  21. clocks

clocks Registered Member

Huh? What ad did you look at to pay for Immunet Pro? Not sure I follow.

22. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Ok then....!!:thumb:
    I installed it yesterday. But I am having a problem, time after time it pops up saying that it is connected, xxx users protected etc. But I am not having any network problem. A bug?

23. Einsturzende

Einsturzende Registered Member

I paid for Immunet "free" by looking at ad for pro... ;)

24. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Sigh, I'm getting tired of these "compatible" real-time anti-malware programs.. They don't seem to provide anything other than peace of mind so far.

I'm calling it quits for now. Virtualization and whitelisting ftw.

25. alhuger

alhuger Registered Member

It should, your results are cached in: c:\program files\immunet protect\cache.db

It will still take time though to open archives, packed files etc.

al

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.