Immunet Protect 2.0

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Pedersen, Jun 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

I don't take PCmag seriously anyway, this review proves it again.
    Besides Ghostery reports 13(!)o_O trackers from their site. With that many profits from ad networks I doubt it that they are really neutral..

Glad to help with what I could :)

2. dr pan k

dr pan k Registered Member

the honeypots used by classic av companies for creating signatues stand no chance against the thousands or millions of users that cloud based av take advantage of. in the future, cloud will be the most significant way that info will be gathered and the difference will be how companies use this huge amount of collected data. Immunet is among the first and i have no doubt they ll deliver an excellent product in the near future.

3. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I see. Returnil wants to advertise that their program includes an antivirus. They want to charge extra $$ for including that antivirus. They fully display the GUI of that antivirus and claim that it is highly effective. But it is improper for anyone to compare their antivirus to any other antivirus programs.

Dream on. :cautious:

4. trjam

trjam Registered Member

sorry, late to the party.:cool:

Hmm, still have my avatar even with the PC Mag review. PC MAG:gack:

Since when did we start taking them for the gospel. The product hasnt even been out 24 hours for the true cloud to start gathering valued information and I read all of this. Geez folks.

Give them some time, at least 10 hours or more.:cautious: I know what this product has under the hood and the engine hasnt even reved up yet. And since when did we all become valid testing sites. Even TheIgster hasnt settled on a product yet because from day to day, each one he uses produce different results.

Me? I aint worried.:thumb:

5. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I just read the review. They are using the free version which I wont rave about either as a stand alone. The paid version is the one that has the engine that kicks butt. I mean, IP isnt going to be like others and give away the house inthe free product. They do want to make money in this venture. The free is good as a add on, but the paid I have no qualms about by itself.

6. trjam

trjam Registered Member

3 computers=2 years for $39.95. That is how pricing should be.:thumb:

7. clocks

clocks Registered Member

It is priced well in comparison to some of their competitors. That's why I am anxious to test the Pro version tonight.

8. alhuger

alhuger Registered Member

Gents,

A few realities on the review:

1. On malware blocking - http://www.pcmag.com/image_popup/0,1871,iid=261317,00.asp

We got 80% on malware; 64% on keyloggers; 78% on rootkits; 67% on scareware. We BEAT Malware Bytes on 3 of these categories with the exception of scareware. This is pretty damn good for a Free Companion AV product. Remember, we are not telling you to dump a full AV product to install us. We even BEAT Norton 2010 on rootkits (78% vs. 67%) but got only 5.4 vs. 6.7. We need to understand this a little bit better and improve it.

2. On malware removal - http://www.pcmag.com/image_popup/0,1871,iid=261319,00.asp

We got 70% on executed processes; but we only remediate 40% (need to fix this and test for it better). We only removed 54% of the malware that was detected and as no surprise removed 0% of rootkits. So we clearly know that we need to improve on the removal side and we know that we don’t have rootkit support in the Free product......

At the end of the day we got reviewed as a full AV solution, the Free product is not such a thing nor do we state it is. That's why it's called Companion AV.

We will improve and overcome all of these things in time as well as anything else we encounter. In 10 months we've come a very long way and much of it with support of the people here, which again, I am quite thankful for. We will be tuning and working on our engines over the next several months. Our goal is to ultimately have a Companion AV product which is *stronger* than traditional AV but nothing that profound happens overnight.

Best,
    al

9. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Personally I don't care where reviews come from. I look at the testing methodology and results - if I feel there's something out of wack I speak to that. Just discounting PC Mag because they have advertisers on the site is not a real response to the review.

Since Immunet Protect (IP) is meant to be a companion AV I would like to see it tested that way. In other words run it along with NAV or Panda, etc, throw malware at the system and see if the presence of IP improves detection and/or removal over using the primary AV alone.

10. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Good points. Would like to do this.;)

11. webster

webster Registered Member

12. trjam

trjam Registered Member

It is funny about testing. I just grapped the top 3 from malware domain and the following is what I found with the paid version of IP. Going to run Malwarebytes to see if anything left behind.

Attached Files:

• 1.JPG
      1.JPG
      File size:
      15.8 KB
      Views:
    • 2.JPG
      2.JPG
      File size:
      18.7 KB
      Views:
    • 3.JPG
      3.JPG
      File size:
      21.1 KB
      Views:
  13. trjam

trjam Registered Member

And the final calculation.

Attached Files:

14. alhuger

alhuger Registered Member

Re: Immunet Protect 2.0 - Defs

One thing to note for people upgrading to Plus - the first pull of the defs takes a while. Up to 30 minutes on some systems. You should get a pop up message in the tray telling when when it's done. Alternatively you will see 681 files in:

c:\program files\immunet protect\tetra\plugins

Your 'Up to Date' orb should shift from Yellow when they are updated. you will also see a brief surge in memory as the defs fully load.

al

15. clocks

clocks Registered Member

16. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I got 4 licences if you would like to try it. The first 4 that PM me, get them.;)

17. PC__Gamer

PC__Gamer Registered Member

Ok, can someone tell me What this software brings to the table that's not already available?

I know its new, and can see if still has a long way to go, but I don't honestly see what some people on here seem to be seeing.

Surely I aint the only one.

18. trjam

trjam Registered Member

nobody said it is the holy grail or anything else. It is a new product, plain and simple. One that some will find fits their needs. In the end, isnt it how light and how well it protects.

19. clocks

clocks Registered Member

Maybe it can become a like the free Prevx, except actually protect you. (Meaning actually block stuff rather than just telling you that you are hosed)

Last edited: Jun 17, 2010
  20. trjam

trjam Registered Member

And no, you cant register and get a frigging license. I have them for Wilders members.

21. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Got my PRO license from Alfred, going to start clean!

22. PC__Gamer

PC__Gamer Registered Member

So it offers nout new is what your basically saying, just another option for a different vendor.

That's all you had to say.

Is this all you do, buy licenses for every security software available, regardless trjam?

Or maybe they give out free ones to people who will promote it? Lol

Buy in all seriousness, it may turn into a very good product, but already a price tag on it? Doesn't seem a finished project yet,

23. trjam

trjam Registered Member

PC, as always I respect your thoughts. I guess we just have to agree that like all products, only time will define its role in provding malware detection.;)

And for the record, Prevx is very good to, so no, my loyality cant be bought.

My avatars should have proven that. :)

24. trjam

trjam Registered Member

oh, one thing PC. I guess I do have a motive here. It has been and always will be, trying to do whatever I can for fellow Wilders Members. I actually do care about my friends here.

25. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

@PG/trjam, it is indeed a new product using cloud technology that we're hearing more and more of these days. It isn't the first and most certainly won't be the last. I hazard a guess other similar products will pop up in the next few years with marketing hoping users will purchase. ;)

Anyway, good luck to IP and the team behind it. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.