Immunet acquired by Sourcefire

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by IBK, Jan 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

It would be really nice for Windows, now it is only possible for windows users to use Snort as an IDS(not IPS so no blocking, and you can only see it afterwards in a log file) and you have to install and configure it manually via Command Line. There were some projects with a GUI to provide realtime notices on the IDS and also blocking ability but those are all old and no longer supported. So I hope there'll be a suite Immunet + Snort IDS/IPS firewall and also the firewall as stand-alone.

2. LODBROK

LODBROK Guest

Immunet is a 100% free 100% cloud based application. Immunet Plus is where you pay for the BitDefender engine extensions to provide the stand-alone offline functionality to compete with all the other apps which are "cloud" in marketing jargon only, requiring sizable local data stores (needing timely updates) and additional background resources.

3. Kyle1420

Kyle1420 Registered Member

You didn't really need to tell me that.. I have 2 licenses so I'd more than likely already know lol..

4. mike21

mike21 Registered Member

21 mil seems to me on the high side. But before the acquisition they made an evaluation and decided its worth it. Maybe at Sourcefire they believe that cloud is the future of virus fighting.

For the end user I think it is positive, as immunet have a lot of room for development/improvement.

5. qakbot

qakbot Registered Member

Since most of the top guys at the company are ex-Symantec, they could have just gone there and got themselves a real good deal - what is it; 11 billion was the going rate for the POS Veritas, that Symantec bought. Now that would have been a nice chunk of change for Immunet.

Jokes aside, it was n interesting time to see them sell out, just when businesses are starting to spend again. They should have secured a few more customers and then gone looking for a buyer.

6. carat

carat Guest

How effective is Immunet Free? Are there any tests? :doubt:

7. Pedersen

Pedersen Registered Member

Well I know I am supposed to say anything but I arent doing that. I tell the truth :p

You can check out the result here (Direct download of pdf containing zip):
    http://immunet.dk/t1.zip

Notice that these test is done by me and is internal test. Not related to Immunet in any way other than they participate.
    Notice how old the test are too ;) Immunet/clamAV have improved more than the other since (internal test that I cant publish yet)

8. EternalFunction

EternalFunction Registered Member

just some questions regarding immunet. I noticed it won't upgrade the software version by itself, even tho from the "updater" it will says "version up to date"

For example, latest version from other computers that I recently installed immunet is: 2.0.17.31
    But the current version on this computer is 2.0.16.xx, and updater still said "up-to-date"..until I manually re-install the software.

Common problems or just me?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.