Immunet 3

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by sg09, Jan 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fblais

fblais Registered Member

Not if you don't enable the ClamAV engines.

2. fblais

fblais Registered Member

Yes, it goes away if you buy a license. :)
    As for uglyness, I can live with that since I rarely open up the main window.

3. DoctorPC

DoctorPC Banned

I haven't even opened the GUI. Which is the best part about Immunet. Install it, and forget about it.. Let the Heuristics, Machine leaning, and cloud bases systems do their jobs. No real need to ever look at it again!

4. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Immunet reminds me of an older product named CyberScrub Antivirus. Though obviously they are different products, the UI seems to have a lot of reminiscence of KAV Lite and the CyberScrub Antivirus :D

5. FreddyFreeloader

FreddyFreeloader Registered Member

Like Q360, Immunet will not work in a non-administrator account.

6. ance

ance formerly: fmon

Do you mean it doesn't detect malware in a non-administrator account? :doubt:

Edit: Wow, 2 FP in 20 minutes. It looks like the free version doesn't include antispyware and antirootkit.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2014
  7. FreddyFreeloader

It does not work, period. No nothing, just a UI devoid of anything.

8. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Why do you think it´s so great? It´s only the payware version that offers the Bitdefender engine, am I correct? :)

9. DoctorPC

DoctorPC Banned

I like the free version because it is so light, and tiny, but has 3 engines. Stacked with the already effective Malwarebytes, I find it to be a remarkable layer. Ethos, Speros, and a backend 'unnamed' engine that provides protection from millions of threats in addition;

ETHOS is focused on helping us leverage our community to help protect our community. Essentially the engine looks for threats (heuristically) on the desktops of our community. If it finds a suspected threat it remediates it and then communicates about it (and sometimes the file itself) to our Cloud so the rest of the Immunet Community is protected from it instantly. It's long been our opinion that the most dangerous malware our community faces is malware which is making the rounds in the 'here and now' . This 'active malware' is what we all need to be worried about. This is the stuff that you and those around you are most likely to encounter. Sounds like common sense right? It is, but the vast amount of Anti-Virus signatures (well over 97%) created for most Anti-Virus products are created from traded malware collections (which are tired and old) or collected/crawled from malware web sites which are often fallow and no longer active. This results in most Anti-Virus products downloading millions of largely useless definitions a year. We believe it's the small minority of threats which are live and on the move which need your attention.

SPERO is trained on data from the whole Community versus just single users. There is generally not enough data from one user to make meaningful training set for us. SPERO uses machine learning techniques to build essentially what are decision trees for malware. Without getting into too many specifics SPERO works on a real time feedback model.

SPERO and ETHOS are both generic engines. To be precise SPERO is an engine which is trained using machine learning techniques and is reliant on file 'features' versus a signature per se. ETHOS is an engine which actually uses an algorithm designed to do 'file clustering'. You can turn off both and still be protected from the 20X million threats. That number is derived from the number of files we know we stop with 'one to one' matching which is driven off an engine in the product which cannot be turned off.

10. FreddyFreeloader

The no-name engine is the Bitdefender cloud. On Immunet pay version, you get the Bitdefender signature download, too, + root kit scanning.

11. DoctorPC

DoctorPC Banned

So Ethos, Speros, Bit Defender Cloud.

Awesome.

12. Rasheed187

To be honest, I would put my trust only in the cloud services of well known companies like Bitdefender, Avira and Avast for example.

Why would I rely on the cloud of Immunet, Qihoo and Baidu? But that´s just my way of thinking. ;)

13. clocks

clocks Registered Member

You are in Europe where BD, Avira, and Avast are from. In Asia, Qihoo and Baidu are more known.

14. Rasheed187

So you´re saying that Qihoo and Baidu have already been working on security tools (including file signature databases) for years?

I thought they were new to the game, at least when it comes to PC security. :)

15. DoctorPC

DoctorPC Banned

Immunet has 40,000,000 concurrent users online at all times (mostly). How long do you think it takes to build a machine learning heuristic with that number? Not long - weeks, at the most. Also Immunet leverages several other sites(like Jotti).

Thirdly, Immunet uses Bit Defenders cloud. As noted, with both engines OFF on Immunet, it still blocks 20,000,000+ threats. That's the Bit Defender cloud. Personally, I don't see why anyone WOULDN'T use Immunet!

16. clocks

clocks Registered Member

My Immunet GUI says 3.3mil users.

17. siketa

siketa Registered Member

Web page says that community has little less than 2.3M users.

18. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I can find no way to suspend or shut-down Immunet during an install, except by opening its GUI & changing its settings. Immunet screwed up my install of MBAM 2.0 -- it popped up 3 times & MBAM's installer finally froze.

Does anyone know a simpler way to suspend or shut-down Immunet when one wishes to do so?

19. clocks

clocks Registered Member

End task from windows task mgr works. lol

20. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Self-defense non existent? :doubt:

21. fblais

fblais Registered Member

Do you have ClamAV engines enabled?

22. spywar

spywar Registered Member

Immunet 40 M users ? :D :D :D :D ...
    It has 3M no more.

23. DoctorPC

DoctorPC Banned

I meant 4mil, added an extra zero.. Still a pretty huge chunk of people to base cloud/machine learning on, when combined with the other aspects.

24. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Perish the thought. Nyet. Nein. No. Neva happen! :argh:

As to using Task Mgr to pause Immunet, that would require doing a "Kill Task". It's pretty poor programming if that's what has to be done in order to momentarily suspend Immunet.

By the way, I do NOT use M$'s Task Mgr (its kill routine is fairly toothless). I much prefer Process Hacker. Light. Fast. Effective. Vicious killer.

25. fblais

fblais Registered Member

This is indeed an important feature lacking.
    MSE also doesn't provide a quick way to shutdown protection.
    I'm back to Outpost SS myself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.