IMAP and IMAP+SSL

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus v4 Beta Forum' started by userNamed, Dec 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. userNamed

userNamed Registered Member

I use IMAP over SSL instead of POP to access email.

ESET Smart Security 4.0 Beta 1 only supports POP and POP+SSL. Any way to get it scanning IMAP as well?

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

The plugins for Outlook Express, Microsoft Outlook, Windows Mail, Windows Live Mail and Mozilla Thunderbird should make scanning of received email in these clients possible regardless of the protocol used.

3. userNamed

I do not use any of those clients. I use the Opera browser’s built-in email client. A really good email client, but I am unsure about how well it works with ESET.

4. SmackyTheFrog

SmackyTheFrog Registered Member

Mail and attachments will be scanned when they are cached locally or executed, but you won't get any scanning within the network stack.

5. userNamed

Then, can I safely disable the emailing module? It appears unnecessary as it is not being used. Or am I missing something?

6. SmackyTheFrog

Yes, if you aren't using a client that has integrated support or POP3 (POP3 over SSL is supported now if you enable SSL scanning I guess) then you might as well disable it.

7. userNamed

Will it free up system resources?

Will disabling the email and spam module reduce ESET's performance impact on the system? Will it free up memory, for instance?

(Not that ESET uses much memory or anything. I am just curious about whether the modules are disabled or still loaded, but inactive.)

8. SmackyTheFrog

There shouldn't be any real performance difference since nothing is passing through the scanning engine so it won't be eating any CPU cycles, and I would guess you would only 1-2mb difference in footprint. Personally I would leave it on in the off-chance you use something else that has POP3 functionality or Eset adds IMAP scanning support (HEY ESET add IMAP scanning support!)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.