Imaging a Compaq Presario partitioned drive

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by 2harts4ever, Sep 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2harts4ever

2harts4ever Registered Member

Good morning,

I am back again hopefully for some more expertise and guidance from forum users.

I installed Acronis TI 10 last week on my Compaq Presario AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3300+, 2411MHz/1.93 GBs RAM, running Windows Xp Home Sp#2., with IE7.

I then placed an image of my 'C' Drive on my 'external' drive. A validation check said it was successful. Last night I did a 2nd image and it too went off without a hitch.

Right now I am in the process of hunting for another internal hard drive so I can fully test my ATI backup images.

However, in the meantime, I just got to thinking about something. This Compaq computer comes with a partitioned internal drive. The 'C' partition holds my operating system while the 'D' drive is where Compaq put their computer restore feature.

The first two images I made with ATI only consisted of the 'C' partition, should I include the 'D' partition when I am creating these restore images with ATI?

Thanks and regards,

2harts4ever

2. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

That's up to you. I would recommend that you make at least one full-disk backup image of your COMPAQ machine so that if its internal disk ever fails you can restore the full-disk image to a new disk and thus retain the recovery partition. However, for periodic backups I would only make images of the C partition.

Another school of thought is that once you have done a test restore to your spare drive and confirm that it works, then who needs the recovery partition?

3. 2harts4ever

Morning k0lo,

I appreciate the quick response and your recommendation.

Thanks and regards,

2harts4ever

4. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

K0lo is right on. The problem is that sometimes a system won't boot after a restore if the entire disk (all partitions and MBR) isn't included in the image. That's why it's smart to keep one image of the entire disk.

If you can restore just the C partition and the MBR to a new drive, and it boots correctly, then you know that you don't need the image of all partitions unless you want to keep the Compaq recovery partition. Frankly, I'd keep at least one copy of that image.

Some day you may want to sell or give the computer to someone. If you have the Compaq partition, you can put it back to the day you bought it and remove all your data and programs in one step.

In the meantime, you only need to backup the C partition and you can even delete the Compaq partition and add it to C or use it for data.

5. 2harts4ever

Hi jmk94903i,

I appreciate the followup to my post and k0lo's response.

Thanks and regards,

2harts4ever

6. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

7. 2harts4ever

Hi GroverH,

I briefly looked at two of them previously but will look a little more carefully this time.

Thanks and regards,

2harts4ever

8. jmk94903

Hmmm, it just occured to me. 2harts... are you an early Core 2 Duo clone?

9. 2harts4ever

Morning jmk94903,

You lost me on that oneo_O

Thanks and regards,

2harts4ever

10. jmk94903

Sorry about that. All the new systems are coming with dual core processors. Sort of like a computer with two hearts.

It was a bad what ever it was.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.