Images defrag?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by aigle, Nov 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Is it Ok to defrag the partition/ disk containing images using any defrag software/ OS built in defragmenter.

Thanks.

2. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

The few disk defragmenters that I have seen work on a partition basis. So one can choose which partitions to defragment.
    If a partition is used exclusively to store .TIB files I can see little point in defragging it.
    OTOH if .TIB files are stored amongst other data in a partition they will not be harmed by a defrag process.

There have been many postings on this subject that a few searches will find.

Xpilot

3. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

The image files are just that, files. They can be defragged if you wish and it should not cause a problem. Having said that, every operation that requires reads and writes has a potential for an error to occur. The more data the greater chance for error so why tempt fate unless there is a good reason.

My personal view is that there is no real benefit in doing it since the files are very large and are rarely, if ever, used. The normal use of these files runs into minutes so saving a bit of time having it defragged is meaningless. The use of these files is quite different from some OS files that are used very frequently.

If you are defragging the location where your images are stored because you really want to defrag other files in the same partition then I suggest you consider putting your images in their own partition.

A fresh partition used to only store images would probably have very little fragmentation for some time. When an old image is deleted it frees up large blocks of space for re-use without fragmentation. This is a personal opinion because I do not know what algorithm Windows uses to decide where to place large blocks of data.

4. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Hi, thanks for ur replies.
    Just one more related question is it OK to transfer these images on a separate partition/ disk via normal OS cut paste or copy paste operation.
    Thanks.

5. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Yes, I do it all the time. Like I said, they are just regular files although they tend to be very large compared to most others.

6. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.