iMAGEING 2ND hdd

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by IAMME, Dec 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IAMME

IAMME Registered Member

I need direction for this:
    I have (2) HDD's, 1st is a 20 gb 5400rpm drive (D: drive with the OS and all system data and files). 2nd is a 80 gb 7200 rpm drive (C: with only "junk on it, I guess)". I have "optimized" my system and no viruses. I have installed Acronis True Image build 786 and have created a good rescue cd. Now I need to create an image of my D: drive (with OS) and restore it to the C: drive (temporary) so that I can burn it to a DVD+RW disc (to have a good backup). After I make a "backup" to dvd, what should I do with the "image" I put on the C: drive. Do I delete it, uninstall it or what.
    Also will TI format and create multi partitions on this C: drive.
    At some point I want to have my OS on one drive (with drive letter C: with 2 or more partitions), perferably the 80 gb drive.
    Will I need any other partitioning software/utility.
    Thanks
    Bill

2. jimmytop

jimmytop Registered Member

IAMME, you get the award for most confusing questions ;-)

I'm not really sure what you've done, what you're trying to do, or what you hope to accomplish in the end.

Do you want a clean new fresh install of Windows XP on your C drive? Is your C drive connected to the primary master IDE controller or is it an SATA drive? What do you want to do with the image of your D drive?

3. IAMME

IAMME Registered Member

Hello jimmytop
    Thanks (I guess) for your reply, I may not be the most profficent person at stating a question, but I had though (there I go trying to think again). that this was clear ??.
    Yes, at some point in time I do want a clean fresh install of windows xp home oon a drive (c:). and I want it to have 2 or more partitions, (see my next to last sentence.
    -
    I want to:
    1. image current D; to the Current C: in order to "burn this inmage" to a dvd+RW disc. For from I have read You cannot burn image direct to dvd from acronis (as of this build).
    2. I want to know (since I have never used an imaging source before) what/how to remove the "image" that I will put on the C: drive. Do I remove it, or What.
    3. How do I remove it.
    I belive jimmytop that all of this was stated, maybe not as clear to you as I see it.
    So do not be offended and give me some advice, for I will be more than willing to review, accept and follow it (if it is good advice).

Thanks
    Bill

4. Zintar

Zintar Guest

1: Fine.

2/3: It's up to you. The image is stored in one or more files. Treat them like any other files.

I'm not sure I understand your long-term plan, but I can answer those questions.

5. jimmytop

Please take no offense. I just wanted to be sure I understood.

To do this right, here's what I would do. First, get your DVD backup as you stated. I'm assuming you know how to do that part. Also keep in mind that once you have a DVD back-up you will have two back-ups. Because after you install Windows XP on your C drive, your D drive will remain untouched complete with the previous data.

1) Next, disconnect your D drive from the machine (just disconnect the power, this is temporary, read on)
    And while you're in there make sure that your C drive is connected to the primary master IDE controller (consult motherboard manual and hard drive manual for details). You may also want to make sure your DVD/CD drive is connected to the Secondary Master IDE controller.
    2) Reboot machine and enter BIOS. Make sure BIOS is set to boot from CD drive. Put in Windows XP CD and reboot
    3) Use the Windows XP install CD to partition and format your C drive. Then install Windows XP on the primary partition. The whole thing is pretty self-explanatory but instructions for doing this are all over the web if you need more help.
    4) If your Windows XP CD does not include Service Pack 2, then do NOT connect your internet connection until after Windows XP is installed and you can activate a hardware or software firewall.
    5) Then Use Windows Update (from Internet Explorer Tools menu) to download and install all service packs and critical updates to Windows.
    6) Next install any motherboard/chipset specific drivers - consult your motherboard manual or website to obtain latest drivers.
    7) Next install your video card driver - get latest drivers from web if possible.
    8. Next install your sound card driver if necessary. Windows will probably use a default driver but you may wish to update it. Consult manual and sound card manufacturer web site for latest driver.
    9) Finally, reconnect your old D drive. I would connect it as the primary slave and leave the DVD/CD drive on it's own secondary master controller.
    10) Reboot into your new C-drive Windows installation. You should be able to copy any data that you need off of your old D drive. It won't be called D-drive anymore, because now the two partitions (if you chose to partition during Windows install into two partitions) on your main drive are C and D. Windows will give your old drive whatever letter it wants. Probably E or F depending on how it letters your DVD drive. Anyway, after you've copied whatever data you need from your old drive, then you can format your old drive and use it as secondary/junk storage.

It's never as easy as it sounds. Use my advice at your own risk! This method represents one way to do it and is just my opinion. The risks are yours alone.

Finally, almost all of this post is off-topic for this forum. Other than backing up your data to DVD or image or whatever using True Image, everything else is totally off-topic. Therefore, if you need any help with the above steps 1-10, you really need to find another one of the many many technical support forums on the web. Start with your mobo manufacturer's web site. This forum is not the place and you'll get relatively little help here. Rest assured that a forum for what you want exists and more people can help you there.

Good luck with everything!!

Last edited: Dec 21, 2004
  6. jimmytop

If you want to "practice" installing Windows XP, here is a really nifty XP install simulator:
    http://www.softpedia.com/get/Others/E-Book/Windows-XP-Setup-Simulator.shtml

Sounds cool! I would try this if I were you, before you do the actual install if you've never done one.

7. IAMME

IAMME Registered Member

:D
    jimmytop, my apologize for posting "my" question on this forum, I really did think it was related and needed.
    I have printed out you reply "for I think it is great". I had my computer built by local tech and I have no idea how the drives are connected inside.
    I will use your reply to "study" and as a reference to what I need to learn.
    I know now that I have a very o_O large learning curve prior to even using this TI utility.
    Again I thank you
    Bill

8. jimmytop

IAMME, you are most definitely welcome. Don't get discouraged, although I said it's never as easy as it sounds, it can be a lot of fun and when you are all done the sense of accomplishment that you get from it will be worth it.

Also, by all means please continue posting any questions that you have about True Image and making backup images and restoring from DVD, etc, etc, those are definitely on topic for this forum. Even if you're not sure, post but you may get redirected again ;)

But for everything else, I just think there's a lot of other places where you will get a lot better help. Also try that XP Install simulator that I posted (I've never tried it but it sounds cool) and read the E-book that comes with it, it's probably a huge help.

Good luck again :)

9. jimmytop

I edited step number 10 slightly to account for the assumption that you'll have two partitions on your new Windows big drive so they will likely be C and D and your old D drive will now be either E or F depending on how windows letters your DVD drive.

Also, if any of your drives are SATA drives, my instructions are not 100% applicable, since master/slave has no meaning for SATA drives. Just something to keep in mind.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.