Image size doesnt change

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by orochi, Apr 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. orochi

orochi Registered Member

I had make a full backup yesterday The image size is about 16GB. Later i had deleted 6GB within the image file but the size is still the same. I wonder why o_O

2. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

I don't quite understand what you did.

Did you delete 6GB of material from the drive that you had imaged and then make a new image of that drive? If so, the second image would normally be several GB smaller unless you decreased the compression ratio.

After deleting a lot of files, it's a good idea to defragment the hard drive before making an image. The image of a defragmented drive will be smaller than one made before defragmenting.

3. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

You can't delete files from within an image file if that is what you did. (This isn't a new B3567 feature is it?)

4. orochi

orochi Registered Member

I had mount the image and then deleted 6 GB of data within the image file. But the image file size is still 16GB. Isnt it should be 10GB now o_O

5. tachyon42

tachyon42 Registered Member

What version and build of TrueImage are you using?

6. orochi

orochi Registered Member

It's version 9.1 build 3534

7. tachyon42

tachyon42 Registered Member

So that's either the Workstation or Enterprise version.
    I'm not familiar with those versions.
    Maybe somebody else can offer expertise on the ability to delete files from images created with those versions.

8. Allen L.

Allen L. Registered Member

Is this really a serious thread, can someone really be this s****d?

...Allen o_O

9. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Orochi, a mounted (plugged) image is "Read Only". This means you can copy a file from it but you cannot delete a file, edit a file or add a file.

Regards

10. Allen L.

He must have unmarked the 'read only' to have done his actions. He does state that he *did* delete the files, Menorcaman!

:'(

11. Menorcaman

Hi Allen,

Well I'll be damned!! You are absolutely right.

Yet another new feature in True Image Home Build 3567 revealed :p. I wonder when the new User's Guide will be released o_O.

Anyway, thanks for the correction.

Perhaps the 6 GB of deleted data was replaced by blank "placeholders" ?

Regards

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 16, 2006
  12. Allen L.

To tell you the truth he fooled me with his actions also! :) And let me apologize for my statement to the OP made above...he discovered a feature that I didn't know existed, so I'm sorry for the rather rude expression.

I didn't know this newly added option of the new Acronis build existed, I thought that the OP did the unmarking of the image file's read only himself (somehow!), not by using a program feature! This means that you can delete files from your image, even if it is *not* a file and folder backup I presume...and I'm sure you are correct, Menorcaman, they are 'placeholders'. Basically the same sizing issue that occurs with v.8 and up with the paging file...the spaces are empty of data, but as to keep the image 'whole', the missing files do have a 'spaceholder' in their place that is empty, but takes up 'space' on the image. But in regard to this being a newly added feature of the program, and files can be added at later times also, why is a placeholder necessary? This indicates to me that the image size can also be increased from the original size by the addition of extra files at any time, or am I reading this wrong? The User Manual is desperately required to understand this new 'feature'.

...Allen o_O

Last edited: Apr 15, 2006
  13. Menorcaman

Aha!! All is revealed (well most of it at least) :blink:. I've just read Chapter 12 of the TI 9.1 Workstation User's Guide (my highlight):

So it seems that orochi's original image will remain the same size with any additions or deletions being captured via a new incremental image file :p.

Please Acronis, hurry up with the new True Image Home User's Guide :(.

Regards

Last edited: Apr 17, 2006
  14. seekforever

I feel argumentative today!

I know this feature appeals to IT people who want to have an image and be able to change one or a few files on it when the image needs to be updated rather than go through the whole create/verify process.

As a user who wishes to backup my PC such that I can restore it in case of disaster, roll-back to a known good state or recover lost data this feature is more of a hazard than a benefit. So, to "save time" I take my good image backup and start deleting files and adding new ones. Could well be that the files I deleted are the ones I want later and the new ones, say drivers, may not work properly. IMO, I just threw away an advantage of an image - everything is there just as it was when I created it.

No thanks, but I'm open to dissenting opinions as always!

15. Allen L.

So what you 'end up' with is the original file + the newly created edited incremental file, correct? So you now have two files that *must* remain tied together to do a correct restore. If the incremental is not included in the restore (say accidentally deleted), will the originally made image file restore by itself successfully, or will it 'call' for the incremental file, as the incremental is 'attached' now to the original image file by the additions or subtractions of files? I can see some really strange and unwanted happening down the road with this concept...and I agree with the last poster, seekforever, this could be a literally disasterous "feature" if it doesn't have some serious red flag warnings posted as to what *could* happen!

...Allen o_O

16. seekforever

If the original full image restores OK without the "modification" incremental(s) then the feature isn't as hazardous as I indicated it might be. However, I think it would be foolish not to make intermediate full backups from time-to-time rather than rely on a string of modifiers.

Nontheless, Acronis has provided a feature that was requested by some of the users and I am free to ignore it. Can't fault them for that.

17. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

I think it's a safe feature. With regular Incrementals, if you choose, you can just restore the original full backup or select an intermediate incremental to restore (which restores the full backup and then modifies it with the info in the incrementals up to that time).

I'm assuming the same is true with this feature.

I suppose it all depends on how long a full backup takes. If it's a few minutes, I'd just make another full backup as you would. However, if the backup took two hours because of the size or the media, this feature would be a real time saver.

18. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello all,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please note that Menorcaman is right. If you select Read/Write mode when mounting an image, the program assumes that the connected image will be modified, and creates an incremental archive file to capture changes. The original full image will not be edited, all the changes will be present in the created incremental backup. Therefore, you will be able to restore your system to the point of the full image creation (before changes) and to the point of the incremental backup creation (after you made chages).

All information concerning the features of the new build (3567) of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home will be included into User's Guide and Features list on our web site as soon as possible. Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.