Image Restoration Question

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by rwinegar, Jun 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rwinegar

rwinegar Registered Member

Will TI version 11 restore an image created by version 8?

I have a delima. I am currently running TI version 8. I want to install version 11. If I uninstall version 8 prior to installing version 11 and, for some reason, need to restore back to version 8 can I do it? Remember that the program that created the image no longer exists.

I am so used to bad installs, installs I don't like, etc,. Normally when that happens I simply restore an image and all the bad stuff goes away. We've all done that. But when the program that is being uninstalled/installed is the same program that is required to restore the image, a number of problems can arise.

Roger

2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

One of the first things to do with any True Image version is to create the bootable Rescue CD which enables you to Recover (and make Backups or Clones) without having the software installed on the hard drive.

3. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

I second the notion that DwnNdrty suggested. You have version 8 installed. One of the first things to do after installing any version is to create the TI Rescue CD. If you have not done so, do it now and test to see if it is working. Most likely, Version 11 will be of no help in restoring a V8 backup archive--but I have not tested it.
    (items in blue added later by editing)

Link on creating a Rescue CD.
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=188253

Last edited: Jun 21, 2008
  4. rwinegar

Are you saying use the version 8 rescue disc even after version 8 is uninstalled? Will this allow me to restore a version 8 backup archive even after version 8 is uninstalled?

5. DwnNdrty

Yes, the bootable Rescue cd has the basic Backup, Recovery and Clone functions on it. Just be sure the Rescue cd will see the drive, or media, where you have the Backup Image.

6. rwinegar

Thanks for your help guys. I appreciate it.

7. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Hi Grover,

Have you confirmed that TI 11 won't restore a TI 8 backup image? It does restore TI 9 as far as I know.

8. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

No, I have not confirmed whether it will or will not. I do not have either V11 or V8 to test. My basis for such a statement is the info provided by Acronis about restoring only one version back. I should edit my statement to be less authoratative. Thanks for pointing it out.

9. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

I was just hoping someone had really tested this.

I have TI 11 on my notebook, and I have backup images made with TI 8.937 on other computers on my network and on a USB drive. I can verify the old images in TI 11, so I think it would restore them successfully.

I haven't tried a restore since it would involve some effort (all of 10 minutes to boot from the TI 11 CD and do a restore), but you know how valuable time is. :) I was hoping someone else had done it.

10. rwinegar

I wish someone who has the capability could test whether version 11 can restore a version 8 image. The delima here is that by restoring the version 8 image, version 11 would no longer exist.

11. DwnNdrty

Okay, hold on .... I'll see if I can twist my neighbour's arm to do this. Might not be until tomorrow though before I'll know. I don't understand, though, why your ver 11 will not exist after restoring ver 8 image. Don't you have the ver 11 installation file - in a safe place?

12. DwnNdrty

I caught my neighbour on a good day ... he did the test ... the results are in ...... and the answer is a resounding YES. Ver 11 will restore an Image made with ver 8. He used build 937 of ver 8 and build 8027 (I think - I know he said it wasn't the latest build) of ver 11. :thumb: :thumb:

13. tuttle

tuttle Guest

That is very useful information. Thanks! I have some older images made with v.8, and was wondering if I would need to maintain v.8 to gain access to them.

I just tried two further tests: using ATI 11 build 8,053, I was able to Explore and to Mount images that were created with ATI 8, and also to Validate them.

These tests were using the installed Windows ATI 11. I haven't tried with the ATI 11 Recovery CD.

14. DwnNdrty

I should have added that he did those tests with the standard bootable Rescue CD. So why not make yourself a ver. 8 Rescue cd - if you haven't already done so - that way you can always restore a version 8 Image with it IF for some reason ver. 11 refuses to restore it.

15. tuttle

tuttle Guest

Agreed, that's exactly what I've done.

16. rwinegar

Assume version 8 in uninstalled and version 11 is installed. Also assume an image of the hard drive was made before version 8 was uninstalled and is stored on a second hard drive. Now if version 11 is used to restore that hard drive image, the hard drive will be restored to the same state it was in when it was imaged using version 8. As such, version 8 will be restored and version 11 will no longer exist. Isn't that the whole purpose of TI and haven't we all used it for that purpose? To undo the installation of a program?

17. DwnNdrty

That's true ... whichever version you want to use, just keep that one installed on the drive. In any case, as I stated above, just make the bootable CD for each version and you'll have the basic capabilities of both versions. But keep your installation files for both versions in a safe place so you can re-instal either one if necessary.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.