Image on Network Drive

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by lambda379, Apr 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lambda379

lambda379 Registered Member

I have the latest version of True Image 8. I am able to create an Image of one computer's hard drive (using the boot disk) and save it to a second hard drive on the computer. I can verify the Image and it checks out OK. But, when I go to another computer on the network and try to restore that Image to the hard drive on that computer, I run into errors. The Image shows up on "Computers Near Me", but when I select the Image it reports that "the file is not a True Image Archive or is corrupt." Any suggestions?

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello lambda379,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please try to verify the image you wish to restore once at the original location (on network share) and the other time after copying it to local machine.

Also please do the following in order to check your image:

- Download the checksum utility from http://www.acronis.com/files/support/xcsc.zip
    - Unpack and run the application, click on the ellipsis sign to browse and select the image file on the network share;
    - Click the "Start" button in the application and save the MD5 checksum;
    - Get the MD5 checksum for the same image on the local computer and compare the figures obtained.

If the checksums do not match it is likely that you have problems with the network.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

Last edited: Apr 26, 2005
  3. lambda379

Re: Image on Network Drive - Sysprep

Background: The Image I created was made using the TI Boot Disk after running the Sysprep tool.

I then decided to make an Image from within WindowsXP. This Image was created successfully and was "readable" from the second computer.

Therefore, this is where I stand.

Scenario 1
    Computer 1: Sysprep Tool - TI Boot Disk - Create Image - Image created successfully
    Computer 2: TI Boot Disk - Error message "the file is not a True Image Archive or is corrupt."

Scenario 2
    Computer 1: Create Image from within WindowsXP - Image created successfully
    Computer 2: TI Boot Disk - Image is OK

Seems that creating the Image outside of Windows is causing a problem. I'd like to use Sysprep because the hardware is different on each computer. What can I try?

4. Acronis Support

Re: Image on Network Drive - Sysprep

Hello lambda379,

Please create the sysinfo.txt (please see https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=55317 for the instructions) and send it to support@acronis.com along with the link to this thread and also let us know the full model name of your netcard. It will allow us to investigate the problem.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

5. lambda379

Just a couple of questions. First, I'm at work now, so I'll send the requested information later from home.

What netcard model to they need? First computer or second computer? The reason I ask is that when I create the Image, the Image files are saved to a hard drive "local" to that (Computer 1) computer. Therefore, the netcard shouldn't be an issue. The netcard on the Computer 2 seems to work properly because it can "read" the Image files over the network.

The problem maybe some other Linux hardware related problem on Computer 1.

6. Acronis Support

Hello lambda379,

We need know netcard model of your second computer. The sysinfo.txt file contains the information about your hardware, and if you have a several netcard we need know what netcard you used.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

7. lambda379

After doing some research here at work, I have an ECS Motherboard - K7S5A Pro(5.0) with onboard SiS900 LAN. Would a new Network Card solve the problem?

8. Acronis Support

Hello lambda379,

Thank you for all the information. The problem can be connected as well as with your hardwares and our drivers. If you have sent the sysinfo.txt file to support@acronis.com we will forward it to our Development Team. We will let you know the results of their investigation as soon as possible.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.