Image for Dos/Windows 2.00 Final Release

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by markymoo, Dec 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. demoneye

demoneye Registered Member

hi

you can use NORTON GHOST which work perfect under dos.
    why play with this wierd ifd crapy dangerous progy o_O
    go for NO1 img maker GHOST , work with it for yers , best there is:thumb:

cheers;)

2. HAN

HAN Registered Member

Each to their own opinion of course (mine is not the same as yours :) ), but having used IFD for a couple of years, I felt it is important to repsond to the dangerous comment. I have found IFD to be the antithesis of dangerous. Every image I have ever made with IFD has been good. 100%.

Nevertheless, there may be something critical I have missed. In the best interest of myself and everyone else who uses (or may want to try using) IFD, I would be interested in the specific reasons as to why you believe IFD is dangerous...

3. demoneye

demoneye Registered Member

dont compare IFD to norton ghost pal .. GHOST is well know and supported company . this product is in majore use in all the computer market. therer are lots like ghost but ghost ia the one.
    i dont give yo my opnion , i give you the fact :)

4. HAN

HAN Registered Member

Ahh... Now I understand! :blink:

5. Oremina

Oremina Registered Member

Don't we all..... :D :D

6. pocono

pocono Registered Member

I have used IFD since 2004 without incident. There is nothing dangerous or "crapy" about it. I just upgraded to IFW and run it from WinPE 2.0. Very fast and you get a GUI if that's what you require.

I used Ghost, Acronis and then found IFD and never looked back. Terrabyte products are all very good, easy to use and safe.

7. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

Thanks Brian

I will have another play with it.

8. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

I checked the site and there was an update to the versions I had d/l'd.

It does work well in that it can image and restore without problem and is quicker overall than ATI, but for me it does not offer the simplicity that ATI does. ATI works out of the box for me and can leave it to restore unattended without having to resort to scripts.

9. HAN

HAN Registered Member

With an exception here and there (see above ;) ), I think most of us here advocate using what works for each of us. There is no "right" answer. (In my own case, I prefer ShadowProtect Desktop but keep IFD around as an option...)

10. markymoo

markymoo Registered Member

Hello, Brian answered you better, goto File (Direct) and its long filenames :)

11. markymoo

No choice after restart. You could eliminate renaming the file each time from its day.tbi to Gary.tbi by having keeping the filenames as they are and present them in a menu.
    Eg.
    Mon.tbi
    Tues.tbi
    Sun.tbi

Choices 1-7 restore the image you want. Similar to the batch menu i did for DS. no naming necessary as you not limited to 1 file but have them all presented for you to choose from. All the image filenames for the entire lot including the original. PM me all your image filenames and your commands and i send you back a menu with them all in then we can refine it.

What i surprised is Terabyte let you see the command with F6 but won't let you copy it. This isn't a problem for ourselves it just a niggle.

12. markymoo

I'm sure you wanted to start a flame war with that comment.

Ghost was good upto v.8 but not now. It's gone through so many incarnations no thanks to Norton. Take a look on the web particular Radified theres literally tons of sites on how to create a boot disk for Norton Ghost and is problem for many as each has different hardware and need special drivers. Example there's 6 USB dos drivers for Panasonic and only 1 version works for your hardware. Change your hardware you have to perfect a ghost dos disk all again. lollll. I used to configure pcs and ghost 20-30 machines everyday for 3 years before 2000 for mail order company. You can force a ghost image onto very slight faulty hardware and it images 100%. IFD works in Dos with no work needed. It sees 99% majority of hardware straight off. There's no long winded cd-rom scsi drivers to load either. It has a better dos menu than ghost and is safer to use. You have to look deeper before you make a comment like that. I could go on about how stable and reliable IFD/IFW is and the attention to detail on all the numerous options...You be still looking on web for all your dos drivers while i have long ago finished making my terabyte (joke) size image using IFD with it superior byte by byte verify. Let me guess you think Norton Anti-Virus is good too, at least ghost doesn't insert 30,000 registry entries. Ghost was good and a pioneer but fell into the wrong hands so enter 2007+. IFD/IFW supercedes it. Let the Radified forum know, it fall on deaf ears. The same kind of sitution with Acronis even though so many disappointments from users they keep coming back to it.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2008
  13. markymoo

For anybody new to Image for Dos/Windows:

Using scripts and extra dos commands, is just one further way IFD/IFW can be enhanced especially to run automated recovery and get more out of IFD/IFW. This sets it apart. You don't have to use it this way and can use it in the conventional way via the menu as like other similar image software and this is enough for most users. The general default settings will give you solid reliable backup, other image software don't tend to have these script commands or not as numerous and as for users like Brian and I who want to get the maximum potential and benefit from it this is a plus. So if you new to IFW/IFD don't let the subject of script commands put you off using this great reliable software for your backups. :) This software is technically solid from all my testing and is up there with the best of them and then it becomes a personal choice on what you like.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2008
  14. MikeNAS

MikeNAS Registered Member

I just found this:

SPECIAL BUNDLE PRICING Purchase BootIt NG and Image for Windows (includes Image for DOS/Linux and the OSD Tool Suite) together and receive over 40% off the normal price from RegNow or BTSoftware.
    All five products for only $49.98!

IMO isn't so expensive but I have couple of questions. What so special I get if I own both (BootIt NG and Image for Windows) versus single one (BootIt NG or Image for Windows)? I can't find any information about license types. Is there someone who knows more?

-MikeNAS

15. rendez2k

rendez2k Registered Member

Just bough it myself (the deals on the front page of the IFW site) - you basically get everything, so IFD, IFD and BootIt

16. MikeNAS

I know that. Just wondering that if I need that BootIt NG?! Image for Windows is $39.94 and that includes all of those except BootIt NG.

17. rendez2k

rendez2k Registered Member

Well I guess it depends if you need a partition and boot manager? Its a good deal if you do.

18. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I have used about every imaging app there is and my personal choice is Ghost, It has never let me down. it has worked perfectly every time I use it, I can't say I have had this kind of results from the others I have tried.

19. MikeNAS

Okay, thanks! Now I need information about license type.

20. mata7

mata7 Registered Member

i just try IFW and i create a image wiht all my rollback snapshot, then i uninstall rback and after restore the image i got all my snap back, really impressed with this software

21. egghead

egghead Registered Member

Mike,

Take a look here: http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/comparison-grid.htm

22. mata7

mata7 Registered Member

anyone knows any coupon to buy this program

i know im a cheap bastard :)

23. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

With the average Mother in law in mind,i think image for windows/dos/linux is bit difficult to handle,what these people need is an all in one package such like SP,ATI and Ghost with a simple GUI and drive letters stay the same.Remember the majority of users is the average John with no knowledge of Bart Pe,Dos or Linux.

Hope coders become that smart to create a solution that is open to everyone,i think in particular Storagecraft is already on the right track and maybe Acronis and Norton in their future incarnations.

The Terabyte option is still up until now and formost for Geeks between us.

24. egghead

egghead Registered Member

Not true.
    When using the Terabyte stuff begin with to take a look at the vids of Heffy. This helps you to grasp the concept of this gem software. You will notice that the use is within the grasp of a five year old (or perhaps the average Mother in law). The manual is rather difficult to read (I'm referring to the manual from 3 years ago; don't know if they have improved it by now).

http://www.heffy.com/image.htm

25. MikeNAS

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.