Image Data On A Canvas

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by hogndog, Oct 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hogndog

hogndog Registered Member

I installed Tor yesterday and as i was getting things set up it flagged one of my applications thus "Attempted To Access Image Data On A Canvas" Stating that it was trying to glean information from my machine.. On a secret squirrel meter how serious is this 1-10.. this is a first for me :argh:

Tia..
    Hogndog

2. TheWindBringeth

TheWindBringeth Registered Member

The HTML5 canvas element functionality can be used to try to fingerprint your machine (http://cseweb.ucsd.edu/~hovav/dist/canvas.pdf) and/or track you via assigned identifiers embedded within images. It can be used for legitimate purposes as well. I think I read that TOR browser protections include an alert on an attempt to read data and the read returning phoney data. You'd have to dig into the webpage code to determine whether an alert corresponds to a legitimate or malicious attempt.

3. hogndog

hogndog Registered Member

Thank you.. now I've some work to do in order to decide where this will lead, to the right or to the left..:)

Thanks..
    Hogndog

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.