Image Corrupt when Using Rescue CD but Fine when Checked in Windows?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by msanto, Jan 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. msanto

msanto Registered Member

I was trying to restore a PC using the rescue CD and an image on a external HD. TI 9.0.2337 said the image was corrupt, but when I checked it with TI in Windows instead of using the rescue CD it said it was OK. o_O?

Anyone else see this? How can I restore this image when I can't use the rescue CD?

2. ahd202

ahd202 Registered Member

I am having the same problems and i have almost a 200gig of backup data.

3. msanto

msanto Registered Member

Does this happen with an older version of the rescue CD? Maybe if I can get an older version of the product.

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello msanto,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Could you please copy your image file from the external hard drive to the another location and try to restore it?

Please also run Acronis True Image 9.0 within Windows and try to restore the image from there.

Please let us know the results.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

5. msanto

msanto Registered Member

How do I do that? Won't it give me a "Disk is locked" error if I'm running Windows on the system that I'm trying to restore to?

6. Acronis Support

Hello ahd202,

Could you please describe the problem in more detail?

Please tell us when exactly you have received the error message stating that the image archive is corrupted? Have you tried to restore an image or to verify it? Have you done it from under Windows or when booted from Bootable Rescue CD?

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

7. Acronis Support

Hello msanto,

Please accept my apologies for the inaccuracy.

Please run Acronis True Image 9.0 within Windows, begin to restore the image, reboot the computer in the rescue mode when it's required and see whether the problem still persists.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

8. msanto

msanto Registered Member

Yes, the problem still persisted. In fact, even worse, it started to do the restore, then said "Image corrupt." But by that time the partition was deleted! So I could no longer boot. However, I recovered by hooking the external drive to another PC and restoring over the network. So there was, in reality, nothing wrong with the image. But it did give me a heart attack (not literally).

Why is this happening? I know this used to work with older builds (using an external USB drive) directly attached to the PC.

9. Acronis Support

Hello msanto and ahd202,

First of all, please make sure that your Bootable Rescue CD is created using the latest build (2337) of Acronis True Image 9.0 which is available at: http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/support/updates/

You can find the full version name and build number by going to Help -> About... menu in the main program window.

To get access to updates you should create an account at:
    http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/my/
    then log in and use your serial number to register your software.

Please uninstall any previously installed build by following Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Add or Remove Programs -> Acronis True Image, prior to installing build 2337.

If the problem still persists with Bootable Rescue CD created using the latest build (2337) of Acronis True Image 9.0 then it is most likely caused by the faulty hardware. To be more precise, faulty USB port or cable. I therefore recommend you to try connecting your external USB hard drive using another USB port or\and cable and see the result.

If that does not help then plaese also check whether your external USB hard drive is connected to the PC through a hub. If yes, then please connect it directly. It might solve the problem as well.

If nothing of the above helps then please boot from Bootable Rescue CD created using the latest build (2337) of Acronis True Image 9.0 and create Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Please also create Acronis Report in the way described below:

- Download and run Acronis Report Utility;
    - Select the "Create Bootable Floppy" option;
    - Insert a blank floppy disk in the A: drive and proceed with creation of the bootable floppy;
    - Boot the computer from this diskette and wait for report creation process to finish;
    - Collect the report file from the floppy.

Please keep your external USB hard drive connected while creating Acronis Report and Linux system information.

Please submit a request for technical support with the subject indicating that you want to contact Alexey Popov. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the exact vendor and model of your external USB hard drive and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Last edited: Feb 1, 2006
  10. msanto

msanto Registered Member

I am already using 2337. I have tried using Check Archive by booting w/ the CD with a different external drive and a different image, a different PC, a different PC and the same drive and image ... all result in a "Image Corrupted" or whatever it is error. Thus, it is NOT hardware.

Also, I work with computers for a living so I was already sure it was not hardware.

I know this used to work fine because I've done it straight off an external drive before.

Also, AS I SAID when using the Rescue CD it apparently checks the image before deleting the partition, but when doing it from Windows and rebooting, it deletes the partition FIRST. This is a bug in my opinion. The archive should be checked first because otherwise you end up with a non-bootable PC.

Finally, I think actually, the best tactic is to back up to a prior version and try a previous boot CD. As I said I know this used to work. This is what I am going to try first.

The Image Corrupt message comes up IMMEDIATELY so I don't think it even really starts checking the image.

11. msanto

msanto Registered Member

Well, 2302 fails the same way so I guess I'll have to follow your instructions. Sigh. I've already devoted about 3 hours this morning to this exercise.

12. msanto

msanto Registered Member

I did this, BUT for some reason Windows could not read the sysinfo.txt file and I could not attach it or add it to a ZIP File. I did send the report.txt file.

Note: this exact same External drive model used to to work just fine.

13. Noel

Noel Guest

I am actually having the same problem I am sure with a different USB drive. It would have been nice if when I had upgraded to True Image 9.0 the feature list had said all your saved 'bootable restore' CDs for all machines in your office are now junk. Do them over. And, random USB drives might tell you that your image is 'corrupted' but it's fine.

We have been spending the better part of 4 days trying to recover information of five years that is invaluable. Both images are on USB drives suddenly none can be restored but both verify. But your software has destroyed the partitions then returned a 'false' corruption message so we are basically screwed.

The first matter is to replace True Image on (1:cool: machines for software that in fact can protect us from this situation and not compound it. But we are desparate to try to recover the image foir both machines that the later and better version of True Image cannot manage. It's actually quite funny if it were not us that's being screwed.

Noel

14. msanto

msanto Registered Member

I was able to restore an image by attaching the external drive to another PC on the network and restoring the image over the network. Did you try this? It takes a heck of a lot longer, but it worked.

15. Acronis Support

16. Noel King

Noel King Guest

Msanto... thanks much we are actually still trying your solution which has worked so far - meaning we have connected over the network. Now just trying to load 'TI9' trial version on the 'target' machine to run it to try to recover image to the machine... get an error from the trial copy 'can't register' but expect to be pass that soon... thanks much, your post actually saved the day once we read it...

Noel

17. Noel

Noel Guest

Can anyone help with registration of trial to complete this

Ok... 2 1/2 days later. I have connected the USB drive to another computer on the network... and copied it to another computer on the network and copied it to the second hard drive on 'destroyed partition by Acronis' computer.

My copy of True Image is in 'Acronis image' since it was a download. So I am trying to get a trial copy of TI to recover the image to this computer. It won't register. Acronis in this link 'http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=117341' says to remove proxy - done and firewall off - done - reboot same problem.

Can someone tell me how to get a copy of TI on my computer to recover the image... puhlease...

I can't send/register anything to Acronis since my email is in the 'image' remember Acronis destroyed my partition and made the computer unbootable because TI8 created O/S bootable image thinks a TI9 image is corrupted when it's not.

HELP!!!

18. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

Re: Can anyone help with registration of trial to complete this

See the sticky post near to top of the forum:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=117341

19. Noel

Noel Guest

The requires contact by email - system was fried when I started the 'recovery' TI9 destroyed the C drive partition, then hung up saying the image was damaged, which it wasn't. My email 'passwords' were on the fried computer.

So I did that but can't get the answer from Acronis...

20. Noel

Noel Guest

Day (3) late in the evening....
    I finally found a copy of Acronis 8, since ninetrial that is that registered. So I am off to restore my hard drive... it says it has all the features of the real deal except it expires in 15 days - it registers fine - we break out the champagne - we find the image now off the USB drive and on drive D... it says all is well we click PROCEED -

NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

This version cannot COMMIT to this feature I am trying to use...

At least the guys at Acronis have a sense of humour. Wish me luck, we are now going to BUY a copy of True Image 9, knowing that it might fry the partition again like the last copy of True Image 9 on the machine if the USB connection was not the problem. That will start a 14 hour process again to get to where we are...

Any help from anyone else would be greatly appreciated. I have no idea where to get an illegal copy of the software but it would certainly seem fair now...

Ok here goes...

21. Acronis Support

Hello Noel,

Please be aware that the problem you encounter is most likely caused by the fact that you used an older build of Acronis True Image 9.0 which had the following issues:

- It used to create an incorrect image restoration scenario: the program deleted the destination partition first and only after that verified the image;

- When the program was running in rescue mode it used to verify actually non-corrupted images as corrupted;

However, I can not be completely sure, since it is not clear whether you own Acronis True Image 8.0 or Acronis True Image 9.0 or used the free trial version of Acronis True Image 9.0.

Could you please clarify what exact product you own (if any)?

Please also let us know if you have registered your copy of Acronis True Image at our web site.

Describe actions taken before the problem appears step-by-step.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

22. msanto

msanto Registered Member

Alexey, you and I have been working via email. Why do you say this is an OLDER version issue? I have the following problems (as you well know) with 2337 (latest).

- It used to create an incorrect image restoration scenario: the program deleted the destination partition first and only after that verified the image;

- When the program was running in rescue mode it used to verify actually non-corrupted images as corrupted;

23. arf

arf Registered Member

Acronis TI Corrupt images seem to be common. Even PCWORLD talked about it in this month's edition. They mentioned that build 2323 would fix the problem. I'm up to 2337 and the problem continues to plague me and my backups. Fortunately, I haven't had to restore but I'm sure the time is coming.

I just re-installed winXP Pro on my computer from scratch in hopes of eliminating the issue of my computer rebooting in the middle of a backup with TI. Support was never able to help me with that problem. Now I'm not having that problem, the problem I'm having is corrupt archive files. Moving the archive to different disk drive and checking it didn't help.

I just tried a backup to a different drive, archive is still currupt. checking archive from boot CD didn't make any difference. I can plug the archive in and browse it just fine. Might I also comment that the LOG File messages are hardly usefull when it comes to telling what the problem is. Much to vague. And then support wants me to give all the details in the world.

Next step, backup using the boot CD. I'll let you know how it goes.

Very sad.
    Arf

24. arf

arf Registered Member

I'm back to report on my findings. After killing McAfee Virus, ZoneAlarm Firewall, Spyweeper, PGP and many other processes in task manager, I created a backup to an internal drive. Result, Corrupted archive.

I booted from CD, and confirmed that the archive was in fact, corrupted.

I was however, able to create AND restore from a backup created from the boot CD. However, I'm having no luck in Windows.

25. Itsme

Itsme Registered Member

I am running TI8PE (personal edition which cannot install over network). I've exactly the same issue. Checking image in windows is OK, reinstalling image via boot CD deletes the partition and gives me a corrupt image... so now I am back from scratch installing win2k from the installation CD.

Thank you Acronis for opening my eyes.. now I'll look elsewhere for a REAL solution.
    Itsme

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.