Image Backup Software

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by C.S.J, Mar 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hairy Coo

Hairy Coo Registered Member

Why do these threads about backup software remind me of the film "GroundHog Day" :rolleyes:

2. CircleGirl

CircleGirl Registered Member

I use Acronis True Image 10 and like 'groundhog day' each time it is a little bit different-- but it works better each time ( I may have a slow learning curve).

3. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I do the same thing :
    HDD#1 System Partition [C:] = ShadowProtect (full backup), only when changed.
    HDD#2 Data Partition [D:] = Karen's Replicator (only what changed), daily
    We probably use different softwares, but the principle is the same. :)

Last edited: Mar 26, 2008
  4. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Welcome Back Eric

Get back to work now :D

Theres plenty more from where these come from.

5. Hairy Coo

I also backup the partitions and the data separately with SP and Karens-thereby both are safeguarding each other-only takes minutes.
    If something goes wrong and the data in SP is out of date,the chances are KR is good.
    Generally do a KR before installing anything dubious.

6. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

im seriously considering purchasing Perfect Image from Avanquest.

there is no trial, so it would be a risk.

all i know, is while i have rollbackrx i aint gonna be rushing into any purchases of an image program.

7. ErikAlbert

Trying an Image Backup Software without a trial is indeed risky. That is not an option for me. That makes me already suspicious.
    I take IB very seriously and as a ShadowProtect-user I don't read anything special that makes Perfect Image more attractive.
    http://vcom.avanquest.com/cat/prod.php?pid=2567

8. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

the price....

£25 compared to shadowprotects £40, almost half price.

and it has more things, including the secure partition thing that acronis has.

before purchasing and maybe taking the risk, i wonder how its compression ratio is compared to acronis. (which is the best)

9. ErikAlbert

Suppose it doesn't work for you and you don't get your money back. Then you have to buy a second one, that will cost you more van £40 in total.
    At the end of the trial I had at least a choice : ShadowProtect or not without losing money.
    I hope you find another Perfect Image user to inform you.

10. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

i understand,

but where is the fun in gambling without risk? :blink:

11. InfinityAz

InfinityAz Registered Member

I'd agree with ErikAlbert, if you can't even test to make sure it's worth it, I would look elsewhere. I figure a company should have enough faith in the quality of its products to allow people to test them (this is especially true of imaging programs).

I'm currently using Paragon Drive Backup and it's working great for me with Vista and XP. I quit using ATI v11 because it trashed my Vista system repeatedly and the issues were never resolved.

12. ErikAlbert

Well, in case of IB software, I don't really like to gamble. This software is supposed to save me in the worst scenarios.
    It's not only about the money, reliability was the main point for me.
    I have now a very reliable and fast IB software with a good Recovery CD, that is ready-to-use and always recognizes my external harddisk and an outstanding support at Wilders. I like to pay for that.

13. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

ok, i shall trial paragon and try that.

it seems very cheap, just $24, although thats just the personal edition.

14. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

Where did you find that price? Everywhere I've looked it costs $29.99.

15. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

yeah, but if you put in NEW25, you get the discount.

16. ErikAlbert

Make sure the Recovery CD is working properly and recognizes your external harddisk or whatever you use as backup media and test above all RESTORE, which is the most exciting part. LOL.

17. n8chavez

I've decided to take advantage of this offer, where I can get Acronis True Image 8 for free. I'll be getting a discount for IFW. All you need to do is fill out the form with a valid email address.
    Let's see free or $24. Free is cheaper. Plus TI 8 is before the line became extremely obese. TI also has better compression than Paragon.

18. xheffalumpx

xheffalumpx Registered Member

Uhm where do you actually download the installation for that free version once you have the serial sent to you? o_O

Did that version come with universal restore or an option to buy it?

19. n8chavez

You have to register the email address and password with Acronis. There should be a link in the email. Then, after that the download will be located under product updates.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. Can you explain?

20. xheffalumpx

xheffalumpx Registered Member

Ok I have to register at Acronis if I read you right. The email with the serial code has just the serial and nothing else :)

Universal Restore is an addon I believe that Acronis sell which lets you restore a backup image to a computer with different hardware. There is no trial version as far as I can tell, and it sounds quite useful if you need to use a backup to restore to different hardware (or if you upgrade your computer and need to do a restore perhaps?)

I don't know if it was available for the Home version or the business versions only. If it's available for Home version that would be a nice saving of some money to just buy that addon and essentially get a "restore anywhere" imaging utility!

21. Hairy Coo

Universal Restore is only available on the Acronis True Image Echo Workstations and up,designed for business use.

Shadow Protect has an equivalent feature as standard,one of the many reasons to make it the first choice.

edit; for all those freebie fanatics,if you are running a Seagate disk,you can also download for free, Disk Wizard,much the same as True Image 10

Last edited: Mar 27, 2008
  22. TerryWood

TerryWood Registered Member

Hi All

I was very interested in the commentary on imaging software. Particularly since my knowledge is weak in this area.

I have used Acronis 8 occasionally but am not really familiar with it.

I was struck by the positives comment about ShadowProtect Desktop v3.1, which I understand will work on Vista which I will be moving to shortly. Acronis 8 will only work on XP.

I downloaded ShadowProtect as per the instructions in this thread. I found the help manual a bit daunting and I have some questions:

1) Why do I need to install ShadowProtect on my hard drive since it appears that the Recovery image included in the download incorporates the Backup and Restore functions

2) If I did not install the software could I just use the Recovery CD to both create an image and Restore it?

3) I just have a single desktop PC not networked. will Shadowprotect v 3.1 work on a single pc

Thanks for your help

Terry

23. egghead

egghead Registered Member

1. You don't. You can use the recovery CD.

2. yes

3. yes

24. Long View

Long View Registered Member

I agree with all the replies given by egghead. I only use SP 3.1 from CD. I might
    install one day to play with the other options but for me the CD is fine.
    You say that Acronis 8 will only work with XP - got me thinking - if you only use the CD with Acronis will it not restore Vista ? I'm only guessing but does the boot CD care what it is restoring ?

25. ErikAlbert

I agree because I'm doing this very regularly.

@TerryWood
    If you install SP also under Windows, make sure that Acronis True Image is UNINSTALLED completely, otherwise SP might be uninterrupted by a reboot. I'm speaking of experience and it has been confirmed by StorageCraft.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.