Image Backup Software Question

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Ed_H, Nov 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ed_H

Ed_H Registered Member

I was doing some research prior to installing Acronis Disk Director and came across this this post https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1113872&postcount=4
    about doing a full drive image backup rather than partition backups. As a recent convert to ShadowProtect I am interested to know if restoring each partition in a drive is the same as restoring an entire drive.

2. appster

appster Registered Member

I believe the answer to your question is a qualified yes. Backing up each logical partition separately will essentially produce the same results as backing up the entire drive as long as your disk-imaging software captures Windows MBR when backing up the C-partition. While some imaging programs (e.g., Acronis TI) do this automatically, it's an optional selection on some others.

I prefer backing up my partitions separately because I backup my data/docs/pics (on my D-partition) more frequently than my system partition (as my D-partition changes more frequently)!

Last edited: Nov 11, 2007
  3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Answer with ShadowProtect is yes. When I tested I imaged the whole C: drive on my thinkpad, it build two images. Restored the c: and the mbr stuff and it was all fine. 2nd partition was the hidden recovery partition. Didn't bother restoring, but it was no issue.

4. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

Pete, is your hidden recovery partition FAT32? My OEM XP home machine has a C: partition with NTFS while my small D: recovery partition is FAT32. Would this present a problem with imaging? My D: partition also has a System Volume Information and Recycled file in it so I guess I would have to restore the image of both together. Sorry for getting OT. Thanks

5. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

YOu know I don't remember. I'll have to take a look.

6. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Good question. As everyone knows FD-ISR requires unequivocally & strictly the NTFS file system to store archives and/or to even run.

Since i been eons from the File Allocation Table system it's worth noting which Image Apps also are compatible for FAT systems also, especially on a dual-partition/drive setup with different file systems.

7. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

Thanks for looking although it must be NTFS from what Easter posted. Please do check when you get a chance.

Thanks, I didn't know that about FDISR. I also didn't know that about imaging apps. I have access to Paragon 8 Special Edition and can get the freebie ATI. I wonder if they will work? I guess I could switch the partition over to NTFS, but I don't know how the recovery, recycling or system volume info would perform :blink: . I guess I can thank MS and e-machines for this conundrum.

Cheers,
    innerpeace

8. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Yeah, $M definitely inserted a few curve balls in the mix. One of them i encounter since i like to divide up my drives into separate partitions is before i get a chance to turn off System Restore on a new install after creating 2 partitions is that Recycler & System Volume Information lodges in the other partition. The way i found around some of that is to set BOTH partitions inative via PARAGON hdm (Luv dat app!) and delete then create a new partition again and format w/ NTFS with Paragon. I then set THAT newly created partition to "Active" and the XP Pro install disc then identifies BOTH partitions and allows the choice to install on the new one.
    The [MAIN] Active partition will always show highlighted in the dual-bootup screen, i regularly add another line in the boot.ini file to both then to reflect either partition (1) or (2).
    This of course assumes one hard drive or rdisk(0) =Hard Drive or Volume as it terms it.
    It confuses me sometimes, especially when i work with 2 hard drives with partitions, changes then have to go to rdisk(0) or (1). But i finally got this little quirp fairly down now.
    I like partitioning, it's in my nature and i make the most from it as much as possible.

9. Ed_H

Ed_H Registered Member

Thanks for the quick responses. I figured I was safe with SP...just waned to make sure.:thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.