Image Backup for Windows 7

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Howard Kaikow, Sep 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

I guess that it is time to find an image backup program that is supported for Windows 7. The program must, at least:

1. Allow for real incremental and differential backups, not as Ghost did (see http://forums.hardwareguys.com/ikonboard.cgi?s=4492619c5fa1ffff;act=ST;f=13;t=4573).

2. Be able to mount partitions as virtual volumes that can be used as any other logical drive, including changing the mounted partition, and saving the changes.

3. Must be able to recover individual files, as well as partitions.

4. Must be able to boot from a CD to recover files/partitions.

Which products have these capabilities and are supported for Windows 7?

2. Howard Kaikow

OOOps, I forgot:

5. Backup/restore Linux partitions, including ext4.

3. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

shadow protect 3.5 is now fully win7 ready

4. Howard Kaikow

Does shadow protect not still have the same incremental/differential issues I raised in http://forums.hardwareguys.com/ikonboard.cgi?s=4492619c5fa1ffff;act=ST;f=13;t=4573?

I helped the folkes at storage craft fix a bug in SP 2, so they gave me a free SP 3 license, but I could not install the product in my Windows 2000. Have not followed up subsequently.

5. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

where in that post do you talk about sp? i see you mention ghost and ti?

6. Howard Kaikow

I don't.

But after making that post, I learned the following:

A major component in Ghost is licensed from Storage Craft, so, at least for SP 2, the same issues applied. I had lengthy discussions about the issues, and SP mde some changes in SP3, but I believe the issue still exits.

I've not tried SP 3 as the version I was sent would not work on my system.
    I dunno if my SP 3 license allows me to use SP 5. If so, I may take a look at 3.5.

The issues I mentioned are pretty fundamental to the design of Ghost 10 and SP 2, so I would not expect a change to satisfy my concerns.

I use True Image ONLY because it gives me the functionality I want, as described in the article I posted.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.