I'm testing AV products against zeroday malware

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by bradtech, Oct 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tipstir

tipstir Registered Member

Can you test out this pe guard program sounds rouge to me but so many here are using or trying to use it. I know that RegProt works letting you know what's going to run or run as in the registry.

2. bradtech

bradtech Guest

Have not got to it.. But you are right about the resuls..

Sandboxie > All

3. lonelywolf

lonelywolf Registered Member

Well, they are offering for free returnil lux at giveawayoftheday so perhaps this is a nice opportunity for a nice review Brad.
    :cool:

4. Boost

Boost Registered Member

Possible to test Defensewall ?

5. bradtech

bradtech Guest

Thanks for the requests..

I have thought about adding some things to my reviews.

1. Mentioning the installer size always.

2. Mentioning size of installation files after install/updates.

3. Boot up times before and after installation.

4. Memory usage of all processes related to the AV..

5. Scan times on stock settings

Any other ideas or suggestions regarding the above, or anything left out.. I know due to different methods of scanning, and stock options possibly scanning archives etc it may be unfair at times unless changes are made o_O

6. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

Maybe add how long it takes to install the program and update for it to be ready to go. Also, some trials are more difficult to obtain than others and a few trials have certain components disabled unless a full version is purchased. You could probably get some info on what components may not be available for some programs when a trial is being used on here. For instance, I believe Avira Premium used to have some options disabled during trial and PC Tools sometimes have disinfection disabled during trial. If you are being provided full working licenses without limitations then you would not be alerted to some limitations though.

Another things that seems to pop up from time to time is conflicts with other programs- may or may not be useful for your videos. Some HIPS/av programs have known conflicts they post on their site. Again you could also find info about conflicts on this site too.

7. bradtech

bradtech Guest

I have terrible problems if both NOD32 V3 or V4 and spyware doctor run together.. If I run V2 of nod32 its fine with spyware doctor.

8. ccomputertek

ccomputertek Registered Member

i've got an experiment " demonstration " for ya.We all were at one point at least, fans of spybot search and destroy.Since things like malware bytes' came out, I heard spybot can't compare anymore and is pretty much usless in comparison to all the " new " tools.How about you run the test that " let alot of stuff slip through " and first run malware bytes' and not let it fix anything, then run spybot and see if it finds the same things, mabe more, mabe alot less.

9. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

From the sound of it you'll have to give up your day job soon and go full time with this :)

10. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

monitoring boot times sounds like a good addition to ur review. im always interested on a products performance and how light it is on the system.

11. Zombini

Zombini Registered Member

Make sure you test the new NIS2010 with SONAR2.

You should know that the detection rates on VirusTotal provide ZERO indication of what those same products actually detect on a real customers machine. So showing the VirusTotal logs in your Videos is completely pointless.

12. Zombini

Zombini Registered Member

Also, I noticed that you are NOT TESTING drive-by downloads. I assume you do know that the #1 infection vector is drive-bys of all kinds. Just downloading from a link to an exe is again somewhat pointless.

13. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Off-topic posts removed and with that, we're done.

If you wish to continue this thread, take it to another site.

Blue

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.