I'm not sure what possesed me to renew...

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by xxJackxx, Mar 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

So I decided to renew last night after having let my subscription expire a month ago. I download a copy and install on my desktop and it seems ok. I set the firewall to interactive mode. I open a few programs to train the firewall. I get to Acronis True Image Home 2012 and instead of prompting for a firewall rule I get a BSOD. It reboots ok so I let it go.

This morning I install a copy on my laptop (3 machine license) and find that I can no longer log into my laptop with it installed. I boot into safe mode and remove, boots normally. I tried to install again (not fond of the "downloader" that requires me to re-download each time) and the same thing happens. Unless I can find a fix for this by the end of the day I am requesting a refund. :mad:

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

I assume you've installed the latest ESS 5.0.95. Did you also install this hotfix recently issued by Microsoft for lockup / BSOD issues resulting from a bug in Windows Filtering Platform on Windows Vista / Win7 / Win 2008 Server?

If installing it doesn't make a difference, does the problem go away after disabling automatic start of real-time protection and restarting the computer?

3. xxJackxx

I did install the hotfix before installing ESS on either machine. It was somewhat the thing that prompted me to renew. I thought it might fix some issues. I just can't log onto the laptop with ESS installed. I found the full .msi installer and tried that. I am installing to the C: drive. If I lock the screen by pressing Winkey+L I can't log in from that either. Are there any known issues with fingerprint readers? I trailed a test of Avast one time and it did the exact same thing. The issue was never resolved so I never went any farther with their product.

4. Marcos

There was an issue with certain fingerprint readers because HIPS protected critical system services that the readers' dlls needed to access in a non-standard way. This was fixed with a module update that is available on pre-release servers. Could you try enabling pre-release updates and running update manually? Is it Windows 7 x64 or a different one?

5. xxJackxx

After installing for the fifth time today I enabled the pre-release updates hoping that would fix it. Nothing changed. It works fine until I reboot, then it hangs at the logon screen. It is Windows 7 x64.

6. xxJackxx

Ok so I installed it for the sixth time and thought I would try to set the firewall and HIPS both to learning mode. I was finally able to boot. I have not yet tried the pre-release updates as I was able to boot and I am on a very slow internet connection where I am. I'm not sure what to think of it at this point. I hope it is not a time bomb waiting to go off when training mode ends, or if the rules get corrupt. I guess I could uninstall from safe mode, again. :doubt:

7. Marcos

I'd be interested in getting a memory dump from BSOD. If one was created (in C:\WINDOWS\memory.dmp by default), please upload it somewhere and PM me the download link. It might either reveal a bug in ESET or another software/driver that you have installed.

8. xxJackxx

I'll get back to you on that. It is on my desktop at home. I finally seem to have v5 up and running on both machines at this point and connecting to each other. I hope it continues. :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.