I'm not quite sure

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by LJM Master, Aug 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LJM Master

LJM Master Registered Member

OK, lookin' thru these posts on AVG Free an' Avast! home Editions, it's pretty clear to me, the Avast iz the better choice, 've been usin' AVG for a very long time now, an'' it's never let me down, so my question iz 'Iz it worth changin' my AV from AVG Free to Avast! home edition'??...I'm on Windows XP Pro, an In the past, wen I woz thinkin' about gettin' Avast! home edition, there woz 1 thing that put me off, the opinions of others at download.com, warnin' people that if u get it, it's the last thing u'l ever do, b'coz it kills your computer etc..(if your on Windows XP Pro)

I've posted here, b'coz I want to rest all speculation of Avast!, it either does it's job safely an' effiently, or it just isn't work gettin', for your computers sake??

Pleaze reply back,
    Thanks (Regards)
    LJM

P.S: Pleaze note, that there are 2 question above, i'd appreciate it, if both of them would be answered....cheers!!

2. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Well you can give avast! a try,but if AVG is good to you,then keep it if you want. Its that simple :)

Regarding download.com comments...
    Those poor idiots (can't really use any "softer" words). 3/4 of them states that avast! HE is crap because its not free (it only requires FREE registration) and other 1/4 state that it sucks because it missed one sample thats was possibly not even a true malware or because it doesn't work exactly as it should. Um looks like they never heard for great FREE tech support offered by Alwil...
    Just try to read positive comments,because bad ones are joke :cool:

3. optigrab

optigrab Registered Member

Agree w/ RejZoR:

If AVG has never let you down, it's a bit difficult to say it would be "worth it" to change to Avast... but then again, there's no downside to satisfying your curiosity and giving it a try.

Also, regarding CNet user comments on Avast, isn't it totally unnecessary to be concerned with one or two ridiculous comments when it has a 94% approval from 664 people? Have you seen many programs (any type) with such a high user approval rating?

4. LJM Master

To optigrab: actually, I haven't, good point...

Anyway, thank u both for your replies, they're greatly appreciated, but, seem as AVG haz never let me down, i'll continue usin' it (for the time being), but rest assured, if, at some time, AVG does disappoint me (in woteva way) Avast! Home edition iz my substitute, b'coz no I kno It's ok, i'm trustin', that U2 senior members do u wot your talkin' about here....anyway thanks again

Ooh yeah, a few questions, Iz the anti-virus program 'AntiVir Free Edition' any good, if so, how does it compare to AVG free, an' Avast! home edition?? And, I heard that AntiVir haz hugh sized definition updates, and iz known for alot of false alarms, iz this true??

Thanks (Regards)
    LJM

5. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I've used all three at one time or another. I believe Avast and Antivir have support forums. I do not believe AVG has a forum
    I did get some false positives with AVG and did not get any from the other two programs.

It's nice to have a dedicated forum in my opinion.

6. LJM Master

OK, thanks ronjor,
    erm...haz anybody tried out Bitdefender Free edition, that product seem ok, I say that b'coz it's quite feature-rich??

Thanks for any reply

regards,
    LJM

7. Honyak

Honyak Registered Member

I have used bitdefender as a back up to avast. It is an on demand scanner only and between the two you have, IMHO, very good virus protection.
    As far as AVG is concerned I found that it is difficult to set up email protection for Mozilla/Thundebird, and it is quite easy with avast.
    avast also scans IMAP accounts if you use them.
    My opinion, I like avast better of the two, but the advice you have received above is very sound, "if you do not have problems and are happy, then stay with it".

8. LJM Master

ok Honyak, I'm fairy new to Wilders, an' i'm just curious about sumthings, if any1 can tell me, i'd be grateful.... :)

wot do these 2 terms mean, or stand for....>

IMHO and...
    BTW

an' oh yeh...I've seen the term 'Ditto!' being used alot, but fail to understand, so can sum1 tell me about that, if possible....thanks

regards,
    LJM

9. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

Hi LJM Master,

IMHO = In my humble opinion.
    IMO = In my opinion.
    BTW = By the way.
    ditto = The same as stated above or before. Or I agree with the previous post.

10. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Hi LJM Master

Here's a link to Internet Slang. :)

11. LJM Master

Thanks to u both, I've been wonderin' wot these terms mean, an' now I kno...cheers to u both - super!!

regards
    LJM

BTW: Devinco & Don Pelotas, I'd prefer for u guys, as evry1 else iz, to jus' call me LJM (Instead of 'LJM Master')....if that wouldn't be too much trouble...thanks

12. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

LJM, your wish is my command. :D

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.