I'm not a geek and i need a firewall

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Paul2, Mar 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul2

Paul2 Guest

For 4 years i used Norton firewall and i want to change it because i have my problems with the sp2 and NPF . I want to change my firewall , yesterday i tried LooknStop Firewall and i really liked but i'm not really conviced about the LooknStop protection , beside this i'm not really a tech geek so i don't understand too much about Phantom rules etc...Right now i'm using Sygate and i'm happy with it ( i repeat i'm not a geek ) not too much too configure just like Norton . I don't surf crack sites , untrusted sites etc , so the risk of high infection through my firewall its almoust 0 . I don't like ZA so no way to install it and Kerio too . So what should i use ? Thanks for your time.

2. RAV

RAV Registered Member

Zone Alarm and Sygate are probably the easiest to use and are effective, plus they both offer free versions if you don't need all of the bells and whistles. Many of the other firewalls are rulebased and a little harder to master. If you are happy with Sygate and it is working for you, no reason to switch IMO. I currently use ZA Suite.

See this thread since I recently looked at several-

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=69420

3. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

Paul2,

Sygate does have a problem with controlling access to "proxy" applications running on your machine (this can include web-filters like Proxomitron and some antivirus email scanners) so if you have these running, going back to ZoneAlarm may be a more secure option. If you don't then this is a non-issue, but Proxomitron is a very powerful (and free) web-filter. ;)

If you have tried Kerio and L'n'S, then Outpost may be worth considering also - the install will create rules for applications it finds on your machine which should mean very little else needs to be done for setting things up (though the default rules can be tightened considerably). However the Component Control feature (see the Outpost forum FAQ on this for details) may make it awkward for day-to-day use - and Fast User Switching is not handled at all well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.