I'm just wondering, What's happening at Agnitum?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Straight Shooter, Jan 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I am a regsitered user of ZAPRO, and Also Agnitum.. I switched to Agnitum from ZAPRO after it was too intensive, (got my money from ZAPRO), then switched back to ZAPRO with the 3.5 release..(and bought ZAPRO again) Now I am trying Kerio. Outpost is good but their were some bugs and compatibility issues, and frankly, I got sick and tired of waiting around..for Ver 2, promised to us since March 2002... Agnitum had it's problems, and Zapro had it's problems (on my computer)...

Does anyone know when The New Outpost Firewall Pro will be released? If you look at the Agnitum Forum Site, the moderators are great, but they are stuck in an "ominous" position, with users asking that question constantly. I am not a disatisfied user, I am a confused user.. I would like to try the new Outpost, but I am wondering, what is their problem? You figure a product they toot as better than ZAPRO would be easier to Upgrade and fix..

Oh, heck, maybe I should just stick to Kerio, or investigate Sygate...LOL! :D

2. root

root Registered Member

Hi. :D I'm everywhere. I haven't told the gang at the forum yet, but because of the really cold winter in Russia this year, everything has been frozen solid in St Petersburg, and will not thaw out till the Spring. The electrons are even frozen in the phone lines. There is no sign of life from Agnitum or PC Flank which is just down the road from them.
    I've been thinking about going to school and learning how to program, so I can build my own Firewall. That way I won't have to wait on any of the companies to update. ;)

If you can find anyone that knows anything about version 2 being released, let me know, and I'll tell Mikhail, because right now, he doesn't even know.
    I'm getting pretty antsy myself, but I guess all we can do is wait, or go somewhere else. Sad to say, quite a few are bailing out now, but I think many will come back after the update.

3. You are kidding, right? :D

Well, it doesn't really matter. I liked the concept of a light, easy to use firewall like Outpost Pro. The support,although I never really used it, looks really great! :) Zapro NEEDED to get updated because the initial 3.0 release was murder... but Agnitum had some problems too... It's too bad for them, however... because now in March or so it will be time to renew... Outpost was the alternative... I heard a rumor they are trying to sell the company.. Maybe you and I could buy the remains... :D.. You do the programming...I do the marketing... !!

I'm just kidding..

4. root

root Registered Member

Yes, I do wander over to the lighter side sometimes. It gets boring being so serious about Outpost every day, all day long.
    Anything is possible. I do not feel I belong to Mikhails inner circle, so I don't claim to have all the information. I hadn't heard any rumors about Agnitum being sold, and I would really doubt that. The product has not been stabilized yet, and Mikhail is a pretty ardent business man with a certain amount of pride in his products.
    Until I hear otherwise from Agnitum, I am going to assume they are in the same boat the DiamondCS is in. Coming out with a whole new version that needs to be compatible with Win 98, 2k, and XP is a heartattack at best. It takes time and a lot of bugs have to be ironed out.
    I really am looking forward to the next version of both and I think they will be worth the wait. :D

BTW. Comparing ZA to Outpost is like comparing a cruiser to a battleship. They both do a certain job, but theres a world of difference in their potential. I have nothing against ZA, Kerio, Sygate, or LNS. They all are good products.

5. Thank you for confirming what's been on my mind about both TDS, Wormguard, and Outpost Pro..

I had to stop using all of the above, :'( because of incompatibilities with my system (Win XP Home).. I really feel bad about that because I respect the developers of both programs, and feel bad I can't use their ideas...In spite of my problems I still think the above among the best, if not the best, software I ever bought... I am going to be the first in line to try out their new versions when they come out.. Some may argue that developers shouldn't sell bug ridden software, but the attitude of the company will be a helping hand in passing judgement. So far, both companies have been very polite and speedy in their assistance with my situation, and not being a programmer or developer, I can't say I totally understand, but at least I won't rant and rave.. I can understand why others would...

Again, I am not a programmer, but why not handle it the way NOD32 does? a couple of different versions for differnent configurations.. If one changes OS's during the license period, they can download another version.. (I don't know if NOD32 allows that...) If that's a stupid idea, I apoiligize, but I am not a programmer, I am an end user...

6. rodzilla

rodzilla Registered Member

> Again, I am not a programmer, but why not handle it the way NOD32 does? a couple of different versions for differnent configurations.. If one changes OS's during the license period, they can download another version.. (I don't know if NOD32 allows that...)

Yep. The NOD32 license covers virus updates and program upgrades, and crossgrades within the Windows operating system range. (Linux, MS Exchange, etc, are separately licensed programs.)

A problem for the developers of any software is that until this week, Microsoft has never made OS source code available. Makes it kinda hard to develop bug-free programs when you don't know precisely what the components of the operating system do and don't ... and rumor has it that if your program integrates 100% perfectly you could end up being investigated as a reverse-engineering suspect. :))

It looks like the Russians will be first to get their hands on MS source code.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.