i'm going to buy nod32

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by mantra, Sep 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

I've moved this over to "other AVs" as it is a comparison thread as opposed to a support issue.

2. mantra

mantra Registered Member

by the way i saw the avast update are more frequent ,every day
    and it seems the alwil team add more virri then nod32 ...it 's true?

3. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Nod updates Mon to Friday with the occassional weekend update such as today,and Avast is almost all signature based unlike Nod which has advanced heuristics.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2005
  4. flyrfan111

flyrfan111 Registered Member

My advice would echo Defensetration's, try them both (besides you will get 2 months of free AV protection out of the trials) and see which works best on your system. KAV makes my systems untolerably slow, but numerous people here have no problems what so ever with KAV's speed. Perhaps you will be one of those. Or maybe you will prefer NOD. NOD has a slightly steeper learning curve as you can tailor it to your needs with all the options available, KAV has switched to a three position slider bascially but some other options are available to tinker it as well. Try them each and see which works best for YOU on YOUR systems. That is the only way you can tell. The debate of whether KAV or NOD is better will likely drag on until the end of time with each side having valid points.. But in the end it is up to you as which you prefer and works for you. Either way they are the 2 best AV's money can buy, and either will suit you well. Will they both catch every virus or trojan you throw at them, of course not, nothing is perfect.

5. yeuxbleus

yeuxbleus Registered Member

When asked a question like this, the best answer I can give is one based on my own experience and research. That said and having tried both I would have to say KAV hands down in terms of overall malware detection rate. I've used both. Back in the days when you said virus you meant exactly that; a virus. I had NOD32 then and it reigned supreme in virus protection. Then worms and trojans became a larger threat and the word malware became the major descriptor. The need for more general malware detection became evident. The whole time KAV was the perrenial leader in this type of detection. Even a lot of the Anti-viruses that once claimed to specialize in virus detection (eg. NOD32 and NAV) are starting to broaden their detection scope. I decided to go with the one that has been the leader in malware detection the longest, i.e., KAV. Don't get me wrong, I think NOD32 is a fine product and is really closing the gap on KAV, but that means it's catching up. If KAV is still currently the leader in malware detection, imagine what version 2006 will be. BTW, KAV does not slow my system down a bit and has saved me on several occasions.

6. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Very wise advice. I would do the same thing.
    You don't buy NOD32 or KAV without trying the trial versions first, otherwise you would buy a cat in a bag.

7. octogen

octogen Registered Member

I agree with trialing them both because it is to a certain extent machine dependent as to whether or not an AV will function on your machine. Based on my experience both uninstall well. This is a main criterion that I use when determining whether or not to trial any program.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.