I'm finally free of the shackles of Facebook's enslavement upon me!!

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by DesuMaiden, Jul 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. new2security

new2security Registered Member

Never joined either. Didn't like the name to begin with. Face. Book?

2. Frank the Perv

Frank the Perv Banned

Interesting.

Facebook is fascinating.

You learn so much about people that you would not otherwise know. Unfortunately, this has a downside. Much of my extended family it turns out – are like rabid dogs pursuing a political agenda that makes absolutely no sense to me. I've come to dislike some of my relatives without spending much time with them. Ironic..

And yes, Facebook is like a gigantic magnet for narcissists. People posting the most stupid and inane things about their existence… but then egged on by their ‘friends.’ And then it's like, uh, really -- four people are taking time to comment on my cousin deciding to have fried chicken for dinner? Really?

I'm sorta stuck keeping Facebook around for several reasons.. but I've found that I’m happier minimizing my time with it.

Now I’ll send each and every one of you who has posted in this thread a friend request. We all are pals after all.

-ftp

Last edited: Aug 10, 2013
  3. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

I've never joined FB or any social network either. Although it's not the same thing as FB, I've recently deleted my youtube and Gmail accounts due to the invasive nature of them, and I've felt a sort liberation doing so :)

4. korben

korben Registered Member

Congratulations!!! Stick with your decision for-ever and ever :)

5. merisi

merisi Registered Member

The thing I find most bizarre about FB is it's a way to stay connected with people you were never really friends with from your past and peripheral friends in the present and then looking for approval from them with the comments that you post. You don't need to do that with real friends.

6. ance

ance formerly: fmon

I like Facebook, it's your decision what you share public, for your friends or for nobody. ;) :thumb:

7. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Change nobody to Facebook, its advertisers, hackers, and the government then you're correct.

I like Facebook too, because I don't mind sharing anything there in public.

8. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

9. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Re: 'Facebook is bad for you'

I knew that there was a good reason for me not to get started on it.

10. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

LOL! And me. ;)

11. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

No, the Facebook is mostly pointless in the long run.
    But it gives people a chance to have a free stage, so ...
    Mrk

12. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Not when you treat it like malware. That is turn the tables on it by employing their own tactics in reverse.
    :D

13. Orhin

Orhin Guest

Facebook... The only reason why i use Facebook is because of the impressive amount of Demoscene People :D

Otherwise it is in my opinion a waste of time. There are much more valuable things in life as blogging about what happened a few days ago or what someone is cooking right now :D

But wait one moment.. Cooking.. is a good idea to post about, gives people ideas what they can eat next ;)

14. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

Facebook is a social networking platform. Of course, there will be downsides to it when one lets their emotions take over their mind. Envy is a choice one makes, not one that is forced upon. If you do not know how to take control of your emotions, everything is bad for you.

15. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

LOL, why would I envy someone I know because I see some pictures of him/her posted online, or read some of their opinions?

16. DX2

DX2 Guest

I use it to keep in touch with relatives...

17. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

Emotions usually take over the (conscious) mind. They are unconscious, very fast and automatic.

18. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

I'm finally free of the shackles of Google's enslavement upon me!!

Finally got rid of Google from my computer. Here is what I used in the past and what I replaced it with:

- Picasa --> Windows picture viewer
    - Chrome --> Firefox
    - Google --> StartPage
    - Gmail --> Riseup mail

Gmail by far was the hardest to get rid off. I used their service since it was invitation only for the past 10 years at least.

19. guest

guest Guest

Re: I'm finally free of the shackles of Google's enslavement upon me!!

No Google doesn't enslave you. Google just wants to know more about you so it can give you some nice offerings. :D

20. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Re: I'm finally free of the shackles of Google's enslavement upon me!!

Merged Threads to Continue Related Topic.

21. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

IMO, Facebook is one of the biggest wastes of time ever invented, second only to modern television. Most of my family and friends use it and are constantly trying to get me to open an account. When I look at their pages, it's a collection of every silly picture and worn out joke in circulation or resembles a high school gossip session from people twice the age you'd expect it from, a steady diet of he said that she said that he did..., including things that don't belong in public view. The saner ones live in those pointless games. It might be a way to stay in contact but most of the time there's nothing of value being exchanged. AFAIC, a good nap is a better use of my time than Facebook.

22. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Great research! Are they serious? 82 people in their 20's and 584 again in their 20's... Against how many FB users worldwide? 835,525,280 (31 March 2012) which means the real figure is currently very close to 1 billion users! FB can be damaging psychologically but it depends on how often one uses it, the quality of the contents, the type of friends etc, etc. There are too many parameters to be able to produce a reliable study which can indeed assess the impact of a social network on an individual's psyche.

As far as I'm concerned computer games have more of an impact on young people' brains than any other internet byproduct.

Personally I think FB is a logical extension of the Internet with its pros and cons. FB has deleted 2 of my photos without any notice, one of them was of an old military installation. I was shocked at first, but then after the NSA scandal, I bit the bullet.

23. Noob

Noob Registered Member

I dont see FB as a bad thing if used correctly. :D
    I still dont use it though.

24. Orhin

Orhin Guest

As another person already did wrote more or less.. it is all abuot what you post, that decides over the amount of damage which it will cause :D

25. ghodgson

ghodgson Registered Member

FB is pointless. Why should I want to know what FB users had for breakfast etc etc. You should care more about what you are doing and not what everyone else is doing. Sheep come to mind - Baaaah.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.